21 | A Yes

I hit the gas, and then sighed as he disappeared behind me

I hit the gas, and then sighed as he disappeared behind me. It seemed like I was always running toward Jungkook or running away from him, never staying in place. I would have to find some way to hold my ground if we were ever going to have any peace.

My house appeared calm and silent from the outside as I drove past, heading for the garage. But I could hear the turmoil both spoken aloud and silently thought inside. I threw one wistful glance in the direction of my favorite car, still pristine, for now, before I headed out to face the beautiful ogre under the bridge. I couldn't even make the short walk from the garage to the house before being accosted.

Rosé shot out the front door as soon as my footsteps were audible. She planted herself at the base of the stairs, her lips pulled back over her teeth.

I stopped twenty yards away, and there was no aggression in my stance. I knew I deserved this.

"I'm so sorry, Rosé," I told her before she had even gathered her thoughts to attack. I probably wouldn't get to say much more.

Her shoulders squared, her chin jerked up. How could you have been so stupid?

Hoseok came slowly down the stairs behind her. I knew that if Rosé attacked me, Hoseok would come between us. Not to protect me. To keep her from provoking me enough that I would fight back.

"I'm sorry," I told her again.

I could see that she was surprised by the lack of sarcasm in my voice, my quick capitulation

I could see that she was surprised by the lack of sarcasm in my voice, my quick capitulation. But she was too angry to accept apologies yet.

Are you happy now?

"No," I said, the ache in my voice giving proof to the denial.

Why did you do it, then? Why would you tell him? Just because he asked?

The words themselves weren't so harsh, it was her mental tone that was edged with needle-sharp points. Also in her mind was Jungkook's face just a caricature of the face I loved. As much as Rosé hated me in this moment, it was nothing compared to the hate she felt for Jungkook. She wanted to believe this hate was justified, founded solely on my bad behavior-that Jungkook was only a problem because he was now a danger to us. A broken rule. Jungkook knew too much.