18. Of Logic and Lobsters

After the kiss, Gillian and I turned to rejoin Judith, Jenson and Martin, but we had taken only a few steps when Stawell accosted us. "Right Honourable? Hah! The daughter of a baron is styled as Honourable with neither the right nor the title. I can give you both of those."

He sneered at me, then looking again at Gillian, he continued, "As a commoner, the Captain, whose distraction with you brought us into this mess, can give you neither."

Gillian lifted her chin. "Acrimony is a crutch of the weak, Mister Stawell, and your use of it offends me."

"I use it to shock you from your delusions."

"Delusions? You insult me."

"Nay, you are swept away by the weakness of women. Following emotion above reason. Choosing to descend to the life of a commoner. I can give you much more."

"I need no more."

"I will give you the title of Baroness."

"I already have that. Now, if you please, Captain and I –"

"You already have what?"

I stepped between them. "Enough of this, Mister Stawell. Both the Baroness and I find you not only tedious and obstreperous but increasingly insulting." I extended my left elbow to Gillian, she placed her hand on my forearm, and we turned to continue on our way.

Mister Stawell followed. "The daughter of a baron is not a baroness, my dear, misinformed maiden."

I stopped and turned. "If you read your terms of passage, Mister Stawell, you will find that as Captain, I have the option to set ashore those who incorrigibly interfere with the wellbeing of others aboard." I swept an arm around the scene. "The terms do not state it must be in a civilized place."

Stawell sputtered. "The Lord Justices would not condone this. You would be tried and hung."

"They have condoned it; it is within the letter of the law."

"What bribery did you use to achieve this?"

"Truth and reason. Now, enough! If you approach the Baroness again, or if I am informed of further insults or defamation toward her or me, I shall exercise my option."

Loud applause and huzzahs arose from those who had remained to watch the scene. "And there, Mister Stawell, a clear measure of your support."

"But –"

"Enough!"

We continued toward the blanket Judith had spread, and as we sat to join Jenson, Martin and her, three lads arrived bearing tankards of ale and a plate of lobster tails

When our tankards were in hand, Jason raised his toward Gillian and me. "Well handled, sir. Now, to more important matters, our congratulations to you both."