Past & Present

...AUTHOR'S POV...

PRESENT

After their engagement, they attended several parties and went on numerous dates, creating cherished memories. Despite initial indifference towards each other, they decided to become friends to maintain peace in their marriage and keep their actions discreet. Although there is a spark between them, they have chosen to set it aside since their relationship is contractual and their pasts prevent them from taking the next step. Despite their confusing actions, they find comfort in knowing they have each other. During the Haldi ceremony, when Haarika applied Haldi on Maahir's cheek using her own cheek, it sent butterflies to both of them. At the mehndi ceremony, Maahir made sure that Haarika was sitting comfortably during her mehndi session and even fed her food with his own hands. Through small acts of kindness, they hoped to break down the walls around each other's hearts. However, their fear was stronger than the fluttering butterflies in their stomachs. After months of enjoying each other's company and sharing secrets unknown to the world, they are finally getting married. Despite showing their soft sides, they kept their dark pasts to themselves, not trusting anyone enough to share. It was a rollercoaster for them. Sometimes they were stuck on whether or not to accept the contract, but they never broke it. Something stopped them from doing so and nobody knows what.

HAARIKA'S LIFE (The Past)

A new chapter has begun in her life. From afar, it would seem as if all the pieces are falling into place, completing a long-standing puzzle. Though she cannot recall much of her time with her grandparents, she does remember her grandma's affectionate nature and how she loved to embrace those she cared for. Perhaps, in a way, it was a gift from God, knowing that Haarika didn't have much time left with her to cherish. It could have been his way of compensating, ensuring that she had enough love and hugs from her grandma to sustain her for a lifetime. Her grandfather, on the other hand, was not as affectionate as her grandma. Yet, she does remember the forehead kisses he bestowed upon her. The hugs and forehead kisses that she used to receive had slowly disappeared from her life, just like her grandparents. It wasn't until years after Roohan, was born that she realized she no longer felt the urge to hug anyone. She didn't even hug her mother or cousin, who were closer to her than anyone else in the world. No one gave her forehead kisses anymore. She had come to terms with the fact that her grandparents were absent, and now, physical affection was also absent from her life.

Life can be ironic and unfair, but it's not meant to be fair. This truth was ingrained in her very being. Growing up, she witnessed her parents showering Roohan with unconditional love while she received very little warmth and affection. Despite this, she learned to be content with even the smallest, half-hearted gestures of kindness. She never harbored any resentment towards Roohan and loved him unconditionally, even though her own emotions were often closed off. Nevertheless, she always made sure to provide him with warmth and affection.

However. A soldier came into her life, offering a protective embrace that she longed to become familiar with. His goodbye was a final one, marked with a kiss on her forehead. SAMAR entered her life during her first year of college. It was difficult for her to open up to him at first, but his care and love eventually helped her to do so. He loved her like a brother loves his sister and provided her with a sense of comfort. Despite experiencing the hardest time of her life without her parents' love and support, she was able to achieve her dreams. When she found Samar, she gained a newfound hope in herself and found the strength to keep going. He helped her through her hardships and she, in turn, provided him with sisterly love that he craved. Together, they completed each other like two missing puzzle pieces.