Chapter 18A - TBD

Author's Note: This chapter is going to be longer, so I had to split it to post tonight. The second half will be out next week. There won't be a title or a song for this one since I'll include both in part two.

I'm apologizing in advance for where I ended this part, so you cannot be mad at me.

Below is an apology hug, so you really can't be mad at me.

O---(><)---O <--This is a hug. I'm sorry.

I'm aggressively chopping a cucumber as if it has personally attacked me somehow

Chop.

Chop.

Chop.

It's been a week since Daniel's and my blowout, and he's barely spoken to me. I should be grateful. I should be pleased. I should be ecstatic.

But, I'm freaking pissed off.

Why not just leave, Daniel?

Now, don't get me wrong, he's been working. Whenever I do see him, he's working and working hard. He's constantly carrying wood and tools around the ranch. He even had a house duster in hand about three days ago. I had giggled a little at seeing him like that. I don't think I've ever seen Daniel do house chores. According to Huck, Daniel's done a great deal in getting them on track for the summer gala, a gala which is in exactly two days might I add. This place has turned into a madhouse filled with volunteers.

Lucy, Penny, and I are currently in the kitchen making homemade goodies to sell and raise funds for the ranch. Since yesterday, we've made hundreds of cookies, loaves of bread, and pies. My fingers hurt from kneading so much dough and icing so many cookies.

"I don't know," Penny says in a dreamy voice. "I loathe the other woman in books. We're talking I-hope-she-drives-off-a-cliff and the car-explodes-to-smithereens and her-head-blows-off kind of rage, but, now I'm kind of getting it. Being the other woman is exhilarating. There's all this angst sneaking around and wondering if I'm going to win him in the end or not, you know?"

Chop.

Chop.

Chop.

"Lottie, did you hear me?" she asks while pointing a half-skinned potato at me.

I shake my head, pushing Daniel out of my thoughts. "Er..." What did she just say? My eyebrows raise as her words register in my head. "You do know you're playing the role of his sister--his very biological sister, right?"

Her cheeks redden as she squirms a bit. "Taboo romances exist, Lottie!"

"You also realize you're not really the other woman because you're married to the man, right?"

"Hush your mouth, Lottie. You don't know who can be listening," she says, glaring at me before returning to skinning potatoes. "Rule number one: never break character."