CHAPTER THIRTY- NINE - An Affluent Decision

The next three days were expectantly hectic for Umamah with shopping as the main focus, but Faisal had a particular request: Umamah had not to physically go to any markets or stores. Instead, she was instructed to place orders online, and everything would be delivered to their house. This approach left Umamah pondering how all the items would fit and whether they would be charged extra for the excess baggage on their flight.

With these questions in mind, she decided to consult Faisal upon his return. The sight of his adorable wife calmed his mind and mood as he stepped into the house. He kissed her forehead and replied to her tasleem. She asked him how they intended to manage all the items and whether their flight would be impacted. Faisal, with a chuckle, replied, "You're funny, Umamah, we're flying on a private jet. It's all arranged." Umamah's eyes widened in amazement as she absorbed this revelation. A private jet? It was beyond her expectations.

As Faisal moved past her, he shifted the conversation towards dinner. "By the way, what's for dinner?" he asked, heading toward the dining room.
Umamah, still feeling dazed, followed Faisal blindly to the dining room. “A private jet, Faisal,” she muttered. She was aware of his considerable wealth, but how affluent was this man to arrange a private jet for their journey from Nigeria to Egypt? What other secrets about his wealth was he concealing from her?
Faisal observed her contemplation, then shook his head. “Don’t jump to wild conclusions, Umamah. I’m doing this for Farid’s sake. I’m doing it to spare us the usual hassles”
“But isn’t it too extravagant?” she questioned. Faisal responded with convictions.
The way Umamah mentioned extravagance made Faisal apologetic. He knew that she was blissfully unaware of his extensive control over many international private jets. In fact, he owned them. His companies, FIH and FNLG, had been pivotal players in the aviation industry for a considerable time. Manufacturing diesel and fuel was no small feat, requiring extensive global connections. Owning private jets was merely a minor facet of his extensive holdings. To avoid overwhelming her, he decided to downplay it. “No, not really. It’s just a curiosity. Something I can afford. Don’t worry about it," he brushed her concerns aside as she settled down.

The dinner arrangement was notably different from their usual meals. This was the first time Umamah had prepared four different dishes for him since she had suggested he let go of the women who used to cook for him, though she had ensured they found better positions elsewhere. That’s Umamah; she wouldn’t simply dismiss people without providing them with alternative opportunities. Now, four dishes adorned the table, and Faisal looked at her with a sly grin. “Tell me, what’s the occasion?”

Umamah blushed and retorted, “Can’t I cook something nice for you without an occasion?” Faisal nodded appreciatively. “I agree. You’re the best wife in the world.” He then eagerly dug into his food as Umamah opened the food flask and began serving him. First up were appetizers – a delightful bowl of fresh fish pepper soup and a tray of small mini beacons and smoked sausage.

The delightful aroma filled the entire dining room as Faisal couldn’t help but sniff and appreciate it. “Mm-hmm, this is nice, Ummie” he remarked. But Umamah hushed him and told him to wait until he tasted it. Her eyes gleamed with curiosity as she awaited his reaction. When he finally took that first bite, he closed his eyes for a moment, savoring every flavor. He couldn’t believe that his wife had prepared something this delicious. While Umamah was a fairly good cook, this dish was exceptional. He couldn’t resist asking, “Did you just learn this?”

Umamah felt a bit embarrassed to be caught in the act. She wondered how Faisal had found out about her secret, how he couldn’t simply believe that she had the skills to make this all along, but had just decided to try it out for the first time for him was beyond her. Well, looked like her darling husband knew more about her than she realized. She finally admitted, “Yes, I had to use YouTube, watch videos, and, of course, I took a few lessons from my dear friend Aminah.”