7

Overdramatic.

Selfish.

Self-Centered.

Devil.

Why could you not escape these words?

You swept any stray hair from your face and stared at the pile of letters. You thought he'd finally stopped, whether it was death or something else. For two years it was so silent, and then it started up again. When you sent your last letter, you assumed it was delusion resurfacing. You tried your earnest to desway or discourage the behavior. It was out of your hands. Could you call the police? No, no.. they wouldn't care..

There was atleast some glimmer of hope. There's a suitable amount of time left until it hit 1969. Not bountiful, but it wasn't like he'd be knocking at your door tomorrow or anything. That's just what you kept telling yourself. It was just about fall now, and you've been saving up from your job at the boutique. The obvious next step was to move elsewhere, maybe change your name.. Hypothetically, If you went through with the latter people might start suspecting things of you.. like being a criminal, or escaping a husband. God knows you didn't need more gossip.

And where could you go on such short notice? You had 4, maybe 5 months left to just pack up and go. That money was supposed to go to a car, not a house. You weren't even sure on a college yet.

You shook your head to rid the thoughts and straightened up. You were very curious about the other letters now, smothering your shame and collecting them into a stack to efficiently pry each open. There were no photos in these, thankfully, but that didn't stop them from being creepy.

'[NAME],

I'm writing you because I know I haven't in a long time. I only just now found out that I could. Forgive me.

I wanted to know how you were. If my math is correct, I've been here for nearly two years now. Things have changed in grand altitudes.

Would it be any trouble to send a photo? I am genuinely, deathly curious.'

And then, he goes into tremendously long stories about his different bunkmates, and how he wasn't sure about these two new ones. He was very comfortable with you, cracking jokes between lines. This had to be the longest one he's ever sent, adding up to about 4 full pages worth of words. It was disinteresting, but it made sense. His first letter for a long time could only be a tangent, you expected nothing less from Mr. Preacher.

The letter pages went into a pile. The next one was indistinct, him asking for a photo again, with a poor attempt at drawing you from memory. It was a little bit silly, and did make you laugh. He was just doing anything at this point.

Lee had a freakish talent of making being drafted into war seem like a big never ending sleep-over. He showed no hesitation mentioning his causalities as if they were sub-human, or even necessary targets. Like him, Daniel, Henson were made out of different parts than the people he had shot and killed. You even identified a boast within his words. Though minor, it hadn't made any sense for him to just feel peachy keen while people spent evenings outside, holding big white signs that said 'BRING OUR TROOPS HOME'. Hell, it seemed like he could've stayed out there no hassle. That was the down-right worst part.

The next letter was weird. He frequently addressed you in a object manner, 'Hey, little girl, your daddy must not've taught you any manners. But I don't mind', 'You better not be getting into any trouble without me there', 'Do you think of me at night?'. That letter was sent flying into the discard pile with no second thought or further investigation past a quick skim.

You went through the other handful in a similar fashion; skim, discard. Each were written so uselessly, it was plagued by reiteration. 'Hi, I miss you, please send me a photo, my roomate just did this' — That's all he could offer each time. Your suitor had a brain for sports, definitely not articulation.

It was all too casual. That bloodlust he had in the most recent letter was nearly identical to the stiff, incessant behavior he displayed right before he was drafted. Such a scary thing for someone like him to possess..

~

Even though he had reacted poorly to your letter, he protected it well. It smelled a little like home — Faintly scented by what seemed like a perfume.. your perfume at that. Torture, it was.  Each time he ran a finger tip over the pen markings, he only had enough mind to shake his head and retire it back to it's envelope for the night.

He might've scared you with the threat. Why was unknown. It felt good to finally skew things in his favor, the way he wanted them to go. He had gotten a bit spoiled out here having everyone listen to his commands like they were law. But you were his stubborn girl; brought him back to reality within mere seconds. That was fine. He was learning more on how to deal with that.

Mr. Martins sat with his roomates: Knowing now that their names where Johnathan and James. Two J's. They both prayed in extremely different ways than he, Johnathan's prayers were short and only before meals, and James' were very private. Lee knew that that was no way to go about it, but restrained himself from correcting them. There was only a few months left of this service. It was so close that he even knew, the next bus out of here had a seat with LEEROY practically printed on it. Something like that would take upwards of a year to do.. speaking from experience.

He slid his cigarette into his mouth and dropped a few grains of black coffee into a metal cup. He then began to stir it with leisure, very precise in measuring. It's been so long that he knew exactly how much was tolerable without making it too weak.

" Hey there, alley cat. " James greeted. He held a hat inhand, but arrived with no shoes or pants on.

" Hello. " The male took the cig out and had a definitive sip of his coffee, unphased by the burn hitting his tongue.. or his crewmate's lack of dress.

" Did you hear the good news? "

" No I have not. Go ahead, make my day. "

" 2 Months, Soldier, " He swung his hat onto the table and sat next to Lee. " and we'll be free. Oh, do I miss the city. "

" What's so bad about here? The forest looks nice. "

" Uh-Uh. " The pants-less man shook his head, " I swear I won't step foot in a forest once we're done. It's all been ruined I'm afraid. "

" That's one way to see things. " Once Lee finished his coffee, he got up and washed the tin out with some old, leftover water. " I've always been impartial the forest. 'Can hide in it, climb, all sorts of things.. "

The older male only hummed in approval. Once the cabin door opened and James walked in, they both looked over. The intruder waved his hand lazily. " Perry. " James rested his chin on his shoulder until they made eye contact. " Two months, boy. "

" What? Until we move? " He joked, peeling off his shoes and loosening his tie in order to take it off as well.

" No. We'll be leaving — They didn't tell you? "

" Really? " He was all grins, flopping down onto his raised cot in the corner. " Oh, that's wonderful. I don't know what to do with myself. "

" I do. " James held up a bottle of foreign scotch, cracking an all-knowing smile.