Chapter 8

I found myself standing on a balcony that overlooked a seemingly endless void. The emptiness stretched out before me, both fascinating and unsettling. Confusion clouded my thoughts, and I couldn't comprehend how I had arrived here. I voiced my bewilderment aloud, not expecting an answer.

To my surprise, a deep, resonant voice replied, "You are here because I brought you here, Perseus Jackson."

Startled, I turned to face the source of the voice. There, standing before me, was a tall African man dressed in a sleek black suit. His long black hair was in dreadlocks that fell like waves, he wore a black ram's skin draped over his shoulder, and he held a stylish metal cane with a derby handle.

The man approached me with an air of grace and charisma, offering his hand. "My name is Erebus." he said. I slowly took it. "And you have caught the attention of some powerful beings, Perseus."

"Who?" I asked, last I checked I hadn't done anything specific to get any attention to me.

"Nyx, Tartarus, and I. We three have been watching you ever since you not only killed, but managed to revive and turn the most dangerous and bloodlusted Hellhound into your pet."

"What does that have to do with anything, no offense."

Erebus chuckled softly, the sound echoing in the ethereal expanse. "None taken. Nyx is the goddess of the night, the very embodiment of darkness and shadow. She created the Hellhounds they never were meant to be like they are. When SHadowFang... I mean Lucifer, took control and turned them against humans, it saddened her greatly. That is until you killed him and turned him into a loyal partner. Did you know that when Lucifer returned to Tartarus he told all the hellhounds about you, he changed his ways and transformed the hellhounds into followers that deserve to walk in your shadow."

"Wow, I didn't know that."

Erebus placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Well, it was a shock to us three to see them change so much, and from what I hear they are rebuilding their home so that if you ever visit you would have a comfortable place to stay. Nyx was never so happy. She decided to give you her blessing and name you their King with Lucifer as your general."

"You're joking, I don't want to be king."

"Too late, she already told all the hellhounds and none of them disagreed."

I furrowed my brow, my curiosity piqued. "So, why am I here? What do you, Nyx and Tartarus want from me?"

Erebus met my gaze with an intense look. "Something happened and we were hoping that you could help."

"What is it?"

"One of the hellhounds was bitten by an empusa and she ended up turning into a Inumimi."

"Yeah sure I'll help."

"Great! Lucifer will bring her next time he arrives."

"What is an Inumimi?" I asked.

"Think of a Nekomata but instead with dog ears and tail." Erebus grinned.

"You gotta be kidding me."

Erebus laughed as he faded from my sight, and I found myself waking up in my dorm room. His message left me with more questions than answers.

<--------------------------->

The finals soon arrived, and many students could be seen studying for them; I spent much time tutoring and training. I also kept an eye on Grover, who became a third member of our little group. A few days later, I was walking down the school hall as I always do when I need to think when I came to Mr. Brunner's office and heard voices.