Chapter Four

The sky was dark and only a few gold lanterns were subtly enlightening the rooftop. People's chatter was making the atmosphere noisy and I felt the instant urge to get myself a drink. I waited for a moment at the bar until I recognized Emily and Niguel walking towards me. 

"Ana, you came!" I smiled, "And you look stunning." Emily complimented. "Thank you, so do you Emily." Niguel placed his hand on his chest, pretending to be offended. "What about me?" He faked cried out. "You too Niguel, you too." Emily and I added and laughed. Niguel introduced me to a bunch of people he knew who were also attending the party.

The three of us kept on talking about anything and everything. I was glad I had met them. They were very fun to be around. 

I didn't know why Mary-Kate seemed to be critisizing them the other day.

A few drinks later, the time had gone and it was already much later in the evening. "Hey Emily, do you know where I can use the bathroom?" I questioned, needing a break from all this noise. "Yes, it's right on the left as soon as you get down the stairs." She indicated and I thanked her.  

I made my way to the stairs, not paying too much attention to what was going on in front of me as I was looking at my phone. I kept on walking until I felt someone bumping into me. The small shock made the woman stumble backward hence her wearing high heels. I hurridly placed my hands around her to stabilize her.

"I'm so sorry-" we both said almost simultaneously before we looked up and both stopped mid-sentence.

"Ana." She murmured.

Times seemed to have stopped. I realized my arms were still around her so I promptly backed off.

"Mary-Kate." I muttered back.

"I didn't know you were here." She remarked.

I cocked my head and cleared my throat. "Uh... Niguel and Emily invited me". I don't know why I was trying to justify myself, I had absolutely no reason to do so, yet I felt the need to. 

"I see..." She stood still. "Those people you started smoking for?" 

"I didn't start to smoke for them." I corrected, a little irritated by her remark. 

"That's not what you were saying the other day." She  said and raised her eyebrows. I pursed my lips. "Not to mention that you smoke with them twice a day, every day." She added and I stayed silent, wondering how she noticed this. 

I thought she was ignoring me and not caring one bit about me, not spying on my every move. 

My mind started racing and I looked down, avoiding her eyes. "I need to umh... use the bathroom." I I walked posthaste to her left, disappearing into the lady's room.

...

"Ana, where have you been? I've been looking for you!" Niguel stammered. I didn't answer him as I felt this was more of a drunk statement rather than an actual question.

"Did you know that Mary-Kate and Ashley would be here?" I asked and he laughed "Of course they're here, it's a Plaza rooftop party what did you expect?" He exclaimed. I nodded, perplexed. 

"Mh, speaking 'bout the devil" He smiled and I frowned. I quickly turned around and saw them walking us. I looked back at Niguel. "Niguel-" I called but he cut me off. "I'm heading off, I can't face them right now I'm too drunk for this, plus my Uber is here. I'll see you on Monday Ana and good luck with the bosses, they're coming your way, bye-bye!" 

I can't believe he left me alone to confront the Twins by myself. Even more so with the episode with Mary-Kate earlier, things were just getting worse. I took a deep breath and turned around.