Sha la la, baby.

You began looking forward to your visits to the village. When you went, Branch would be standing there waiting for you, you would get your groceries and then talk with Branch until later than you'd like to admit. Your visits went like this for 2 months. The walks home in the very early morning, before the sun would come up, were very eerie. You didn't mind as much as you would have in the past. You finally have a friend who understands you in a way.

For Branch, this is the happiest he has ever felt. He felt more vibrant these days. However, sending you home with only a torch and a sharpened stick scared him. He had no way of knowing if you made it home safe until your next visit. He thought about inviting you to stay the night with him in his bunker, but he worried he would cross a boundary. He finally had someone who understands him, he doesn't want to lose a good friend like you.

But something was different this day.

The weather had cooled off and a snow had begun to dust the ground lightly as you approached pop village. The dark clouds in the sky told you there would be snowstorm later that night. You couldn't stay for long, much to your dismay.

Entering the village, your eyes dart around looking for your new favorite troll. As he's done the past couple months, he's leaning against a wall right at the entrance waiting for you.

"Y/n!" He calls your name to get your attention, but you had already seen him. He was wearing his normal clothes, but just a cute scarf was added, you wondered how much warmth that really provided.

"Hi Branch! How was your week?" You hug him tightly for moment. When you let go both of your faces are dusted with blush, though neither of you notice the other. You shrugged it off to be the cold.

"The same as always, helping Poppy run the village and being the voice of reason." He chuckled. "Are you excited for the snow?" You had walked side by side to get your groceries.

"No way! It means I actually have to leave early today before the storm comes!" You sighed and dropped your head in disappointment. Standing at the counter of the stall he suddenly looks very seriously at you.

"I mean this in the most friend way possible, but you can stay with me in my bunker!" He looked at you hopefully. You frowned a bit, 'most friend way possible.' You told yourself not to get your hopes up, but you cant help your feelings. You really wished you could stay with him, but you had one very valid reason to not.

"As much as I'd love to, Poppy will find me. She is great and all, but I have heard of how her slumber parties go." You cringe a little.

"Imagine actually having gone to one of those." He rolled his eyes. "She somehow convinced me to stay with her one night. I barely made it out alive!"

The troll handed you your groceries as normal and glanced from you to Branch suspiciously. You lifted your brow at him, but he just scoffed a little and turned away.

"Hm. Well, if youre really that worried about me getting home then why don't you be a gentleman and walk me home. I'd reward you service with free food and a bed for the night." You said sarcastically. Branch's face seemed to go a shade darker, and he stood up straighter than before.

"I mean, i would actually really like that, if it's a serious offer." He looked down to the ground and fiddled with his hands. A cute trait you had noticed he does when he seems nervous.

"I was being sarcastic at first," You felt your own face grow hot in the cold weather. "But if you're really up for it I'd love to have you." You smiled making eye contact with him. He looked up and stared at you with wide eyes for a moment. "I- I meant have you over! Id love to have you over! To my house! In separate rooms! I mean- we can hang out if you want but we'd sleep in different rooms. Not in the same bed obviously that would be crazy!" You sighed and covered your face. You had never been more embarrassed in your life.

Branch stayed silent for a moment before laughing, a real laugh from the chest. You moved your hands from your face and admired the rare look of joy over all of his features. He held his hands over his belly, the tips of his ears had darkened, and he had tears at the edge of his eyes. Multiple other trolls noticed and gave him a weird look, like he was some freak show.

Branch calmed down and grabbed your wrists moving your hands further from your face. "We better get leaving if we want to beat this storm." He stated while smiling. He let go of your wrists and grabbed one of your hands before you could say a word. He led you through the village and to his bunker in the woods, you made idle chatter on the way there. You couldn't pay much attention though. Your hand in his was all that was on your mind. You had held hands before, but something felt different this time.

Branch opened the door to his bunker letting you in. You stood awkwardly in the entrance. You swung your hands behind your back and leaned from your heels to your toes. "I just need a grab a few things, ill be quick!" He ran further into the bunker and left you standing. You looked at the dirt walls which held a few pictures of Branch and his grandmother. You smiled at the photos.

"Alright, lead the way!" Branch reappeared out of nowhere, out of breath and saluting you. He had a bag slung over his shoulder.

"Yes sir!" You saluted back and headed back out into the cold.