Chapter Four

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

I was raising the blinds in my coffee shop when Chase strode in, a wide grin on his face. For a week now, this had become our routine. Every morning, he came in at the same time I was raising the blinds on my windows, and he took the same coffee I'd made him the first time.

Every evening, he brought me dinner from the restaurant next door. It always contained my favorite ravioli.

This morning, he was in jeans and a camouflage hoodie, a pair of worn boots on his feet. A camouflage cap was sitting on his dark curls, shading his blue eyes.

"Not working today?" I asked him, instantly moving behind the counter to make his coffee.

He shook his head. "It's my one day off a week," he told me. "I was hoping I could pull you away for the day."

I paused, the milk raised in mid-air. "Away?" I asked cautiously.

He nodded. "Away. Picnic for lunch. Take you to meet my sister since she's working with a new horse and can't get away."

I stammered, unsure. I set the milk down and licked my suddenly dry lips, flattening my palms on the counter. Being in the bookstore with Chase had been a safe territory for me.

Venturing outside of the walls with him was frightening.

"Easy," he soothed. I slowly raised my eyes to his. "I won't hurt you, and Max will always be with us," he promised.

Max whined and pushed at my legs. I curled my fingers into his fur, running my eyes over Chase's face. Seeing nothing but sincerity in his gaze, I drew in a deep breath and nodded at him. "Okay," I said softly. "Just let me check with Mrs. Eldana and make sure she's going to be okay for the day until Jamie comes in. And I have to be back by seven to close up."

He nodded. "Deal," he said with a smile.

I drew in a deep breath and finished making his coffee, ringing him out before going to Mrs. Eldana. She just smiled at me from her chair behind the book counter. "Now you go on and have fun with Chase, you hear me? That boy is smitten with you, Meredith."

My cheeks flamed, and not wanting to embarrass myself further, I quickly rushed away from her towards Chase, Max walking at my side. Chase cast me a warm smile. "Ready, sweetheart?"

I nodded, grabbing my hoodie from the coat hanger by the door, slipping it on over my head. "As ready as I'll ever be," I told him honestly.

He held his hand out to me, offering me the opportunity to hold his hand. With my heart thumping crazily in my chest, I placed my hand in his, allowing him to link our fingers together. "I was hoping you'd say yes," he told me as he walked past his truck, moving down the sidewalk. I instantly grabbed Max's harness with my other hand. "Every Sunday morning, those that aren't at church are normally at the small farmer's market we have, selling jams, pies, cookies, and fresh vegetables. Have you been yet?"

I shook my head at him. I'd wanted to go, but the crowd I always saw freaked me out too much to ever venture in with just Max.

Chase squeezed my hand, that understanding look in his eyes again. "Hey, just keep your hand in mine and keep Max by your side, and no one will come close that you don't want, okay?"

"Thank you," I whispered.

He gently squeezed my hand again in response. We walked in a comfortable silence as we walked towards the farmer's market. When we got to the market, I was almost overwhelmed with all the scents. It all smelled so heavenly – so good – and I was dying to get my hands on some cakes and cookies.