Bad Blood

Chapter Three

Bad Blood

On the morning of the first day of school, Betty walked to the bus stop to meet Ivy. They always sat together on the bus. It was raining and a bit stormy. Summer had an abrupt ending, and it was now humid and gray. The hair Betty had tried so hard to make perfect, frizzled up under her hoodie and showed the natural curl that Betty had forced herself not to like over the years.

When Betty climbed up the stairs and down the aisle of the bus, Ivy was nowhere to be seen.

No bus today?

Caught a ride with my dad. See you there!

Betty knew in her gut that Ivy didn't want to ride the bus with her, even though she said they would, and just didn't have the guts to tell her. The first day of school was already not off to a great start. Betty stared out the window as the bus lurched back and repeated at each stop, her knees touching the gray cracked leather on the seat in front of her.

"Oh my god, what stinks?!!!!" A kid a few rows behind Betty yelled. The entire half of the bus started looking around and smelling. Betty looked down at her shoe and realized it was her. All over her brand-new Vans, there was dark brown mush radiating a scent that could only be one thing. Squished thoroughly into the traction of her pristinely clean and white runners, smeared onto the side too. She looked around and pretended like she didn't know.

When the bus arrived at the school, Betty ducked out to the side by the grassy patch. She did her best to scrape her shoe clean on the grass, looking like an absolute crazy person. She felt as though the entire school was watching her, even though no one was looking. She entered the doors and raced to find the bathroom. She had to finish cleaning up her shoe, and fast, before the first bell went. So much for making a good first impression in the atrium.

The water took forever to get hot. A few girls came in and used the bathroom. She didn't look up hoping no one she knew came in to see me running my shoe under the sink. Betty heard a familiar voice from outside the bathroom and froze. It was Ivy and Grace. She quickly ducked to hide in a stall. Betty did not want to be seen by Grace and Ivy together.

They both went into the other stalls and continued talking to each other.

"I'm so glad you decided to ditch Betty yesterday." Said Grace

"Yeah." Replied Ivy casually.

"She is so awkward. I can't imagine shopping with her."

"It was pretty annoying," Ivy said. "but her Grandma just died, so my mom said I had to go with her."

Betty's stomach dropped. She knew Ivy was annoyed with her, but she didn't think Ivy would ever talk about her that way.

Grace chimed in again, "Well now that you're hanging out with James, we're going to be best friends this year."

Betty sat in silence on the toilet, holding her feet up to hide within the safe four walls of the dirty bathroom stall. The water ran and the soap and paper towel dispensers sounded like they were being yanked on hard, then the girls left and the bathroom went quiet.

Betty sat in the stall, trying not to even make the slightest noise while breathing. Staring down at her now mostly clean shoe. She could feel the tears forming with a vengeance behind her eyes and she did everything she could to hold them in place. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry! She thought. The chime of the bell rang and her tears stayed in place behind her eyes as she quickly wiped one last time in the tread in the bottom of her shoe. Panicked, Betty pulled out her schedule. A-block, Home Room. Room 107.

She walked into the room and saw Grace and Ivy already sitting together in the front. Ivy and Betty locked eyes and gave a somewhat awkward little smile and wave. It was confusing how Ivy could say such mean things yet still pretend she was on Betty's side. Ivy looked sheepish and guilty, probably because she knew she shouldn't have talked about Betty in the bathroom, she had a feeling in her gut that after seeing Betty's face that she might have heard the mean things she had said. Betty sat near the back alone. She went straight to the office to ask to switch her homeroom during the break.

The second block was English class. She sighed with relief knowing she would be safe as she knew Ivy had English next semester so she wouldn't be in the same class. The English teacher was new to the school too. His name was Mr. Stephens and he seemed kind and excited. He told the class he was so excited he had got the job teaching. He also wanted to start a music writers club at the school. Betty perked up at this - it was the first good thing to happen today.

"You have a beautiful singing voice." Betty had heard Marjorie say those kind words to her many times.

Unfortunately, singing for other people was not something Betty enjoyed. She didn't think she was a great singer. Just OK. The only time she would sing was when she was guaranteed to be home alone. What Betty loved most was writing poetry and music and making up songs.

"Betty?" She heard Mr. Stephens call her name during attendance. She had zoned out thinking about her grandma.

"Here." Betty's voice cracked, her face turning dark pink and hot.

Mr. Stephens smiled at her patiently. He didn't seem to be looking right through her like a lot of adults did when they looked at her. He was genuine and caring. It felt good to be seen.

Mr. Stephens beamed with excitement as he began his first class, performing in front of the room of teenagers who did not return the same emotions. He sat on the edge of his stool and looked comfortable yet nervous at the same time. He had hope and glimmer in his eyes only seen in brand-new teachers. He was not jaded yet and it was clear he was excited and wanted to be there.

Betty's mind wandered. The realization of her best friend's betrayal dawned on her, and even worse, the betrayal of James. She was all alone, trapped in a brand-new high school that felt overflowing with bad blood.