𝕬𝖈𝖍𝖙 : Enchantment

As promised, Henning had managed to seize an opportunity to take Fräulein to the slate rock Lorelei, visiting its open-air stage on top. He had taken the day off – the 14th of June, precisely – in order to fulfill her wish of partaking in a concert, but in reality this 'date' was a good opportunity to further investigate and work on the case without it being blatantly obvious.

Due to the nature of his task as well as his hatred for masses of people, he wasn't really thrilled, but a promise was a promise. Henning Dorn wasn't the type of man who would break or turn away once one was made, no matter the difficulties.

He simply had to put up with every inconvenience he faced to get her to leave the hospital for one day, even if it meant arguing with Eduard Arzt countless times until the latter had finally given up upon being confronted with Eckert's smooth rhetorical skills. How exactly his boss managed to convince the stubborn physician remained a mystery to Dorn, but that matter was the least of his problems that caused him headaches at the moment.

In the last two weeks his world had been turned upside down. From his supposed great-uncle's mysterious death to an old, cryptic journal, kept away to rot in a hollow space in an attic, to his doppelganger, a yet unknown family member, who belonged to the Nazis and was, of all things, named after the only name Fräulein was able to mouth when she was first salvaged – Ruven.

If there was a good opportunity for her to remember at least a tiny bit that could help him, now would be absolutely perfect. Because Dorn, like his superior, was absolutely sure this whole sequence of conveniences was no sheer coincidence – they had to be connected.

So he had no choice left but to redeem the promise he had accidentally made for the investigation's sake.

Henning watched as the woman eagerly explored the arena-like plateau of low stone benches, how her fingers glided over the crannies, how she breathed in the fresh air. If he could see her eyes, he was sure they would sparkle like sapphire in this exact moment.

It didn't take long for her to express her already obvious euphoria with words.

"Herr Dorn, this place is beautiful!" Her head tilted towards the direction of the stage in front of them.

With her image being presented in media and them being among a crowd of people, he couldn't just let Fräulein roam around in her natural look, so, despite her initial protests, he had bought her a brunette wig to conceal her blonde curls in public.

Her other trademark – those azure orbs of hers – he didn't bother to hide with contact lenses, so he opted to give her a pair of stylish sunglasses matching with her white knee-length summer dress instead, fitting enough to the season of the year.

It was interesting how only two new pieces of clothing could alter one's physical appearance completely. Only if he looked closely enough he would be able to recognize her facial features, but for strangers, who only had seen her briefly in the news, the masquerade would more than suffice. As long as she wore her disguise, they shouldn't face trouble.

Henning could only nod. If she considered the ambience this wonderful already, what kind of feelings would the live concert evoke?

All of a sudden, brunette strands of hair entered his vision, forcefully ceasing his daydreaming.

"You don't seem to be as excited," she noted and leaned forward, hands behind her back, standing too close to him compared to just a moment ago.

Now that he saw her up close to the point he could see his own face in her sunglasses reflection, he wished he could look at her blue eyes beneath, just to get a better grasp of what exactly she was thinking.