07. cool about it

SHE'S BEEN DOING absolutely nothing for the past fifty minutes

SHE'S BEEN DOING absolutely nothing for the past fifty minutes. Okay, maybe that isn't fair but I'm still thinking it. Customers come in, and I watch from my phone as she interacts with them in that sweet voice of hers.

She asks an older couple if their corgi is doing alright. She asks a little girl in a karate get-up what her sensei has complimented her on this lesson. She even asks some teenage boy who's clearly ogling her how his parents are doing.

Granted, he looks about thirteen and is sporting a horrifying mullet that should only be reserved for people who live in unknown places.

Her joy isn't extended to me, however. The smile is strained on her face as I approach the front counter. "Hi, welcome to Frolic Strands. What can I get for you?"

Oh, we're doing this, are we?  Fine.

I look past her and spot Micaela talking to a customer out of the drive-through window. The sun has set so it's up to the cafe's lights to illuminate the store. Unlike Coach R, Micaela has a darker shade of brunette hair in contrast to his salt and peppered light brown.

She looks more like her mom than anything. The thought of Principal Rodriguez has me shuddering. She's the scariest woman I know, other than Brooke's mom.

The balmy weather has me slipping the towel off my neck.

"Hi, can you tell the girl behind the counter that it's almost been an hour and the super cute boy that's waiting for her to get off work is wondering if she really does finish at eight-thirty?"

"This girl behind the counter can't spot any boy that matches the description. Although, there is an ogre who's standing in front of her and begging for her attention. You can't be talking about it, can you?"

My brows arch up in amusement. "I'm an 'it' now?" Surely I didn't mess up that bad.

"You were an 'it' always." She blandly retorts.

"Lola, come on."

Her tense smile makes a return. "If you aren't going to order anything please step to the side. And if you're thinking of ordering anything but haven't decided you can step to the side because of that too."

"He came up to me, I didn't even want to talk to the little bitch."

"Please refrain from using coarse language. We're a family enterprise here at Frolic Strand."

"Did you want me to fight him? Cause that's what would've happened had I shut my mouth. He was going to swing." I'm not too sure about that, but if it gets her to talk to me again I'm not really phased.

There's a twitch in her left eye.

"I'm clocking off," She says to no one in particular before heading out to the back.

"Can she even clock off her? Her shift doesn't end—"

"Her shift ended forty minutes ago," Micaela says without missing a beat.