Chapter One: Obstacles, I'm Jumping Hurdles

Friday, the day Lemao counted to like her own doom. A sense of dread filling her as her mother got her brothers up and breakfast ready. She took Doodle out. The silence of the outside a calm dread, the passing by of cars getting ready for the day filling her stomach with rocks.

"This is it," Lemao said to Doodle, who looked up at her with excitement. She let out a huff and bent down to pet him. Doodle barely contained himself, jumping up into her hand. Lemao's phone vibrated in her other hand.

GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: AURGH!!! IS TODAY!!!

Lemao let out a nervous chuckle.

We_Gotta_Be_Gay: Ookjidkjhfd yeah it is

GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: I'M!! SO!! EXCITED!!!

And just like that, Lemao felt an ease pass over her worries. Despite the short time span they'd gotten to know each other. Lemao and Isaac had become peas in a pod together. Spamming both the sever they met and each others dm's very often.

Lemao got ready, her pace slowed down by going back and forth with Isaac. Her one last chance to convince Isaac to pretend he didn't know her. For his own sake.

GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: Ngl, the past week of you asking me to act like Idk you has had me wondering if you actually just wouldn't want to know me at all
GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: Like oihioijh, ik you're asking me to bc like, you don't want me bullied and all... but like... you're my friend, you know?
GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: I just... *sappy* to say and all... but I mean, as long as I got you, I don't really care what anyone else has to say?

Lemao felt a familiar choke in her throat as she hopped into the back of her moms car. Ignoring the chatter of her brothers as she reread the messages. Buckling herself in before responding.

We_Gotta_Be_Gay: I do, I do want you as my friend Isaac, you have no idea how much I love being your friend

GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: Then let's say fuck it man! We got each other, wty does it matter what anyone else thinks!!

We_Gotta_Be_Gay: Wty

GottaKetchupAll_Pokemon: Nvm I take it back I hate you (joking)

Lemao let out a small laugh. Looking ahead to see her mom and older brother the front seat. Singing to the song on the radio. A swell of confidence filling her. Sitting up straighter as she looked out the window. Passing through the back of a neighborhood Lemao was sure her older brother's best friend lived in.

"You excited?" Lemao turned to her younger brother. Ezra, who had looked up from his iPad to talk to her. Some video was playing, but Lemao couldn't tell what. She nodded.

"Of course I am," Lemao responded fiddling with the pop-socket on the back of her phone. She smiled "I mean it's another year of school, but I mean their library is bigger," she commented. Getting a look from Ezra along with an eye roll. He was sassy for a kid going into 7th grade.

"Of course you'd care more about the library than anything else about school," John, Lemao's older brother called from the front seat. Turning around to face the two in the back.

"Right, like you have room to speak," Ezra shot back before Lemao could. She nodded in agreement with him. Their mother quietly laughing, overhearing her children bicker.

"Yeah, you only cared that the choir room was carpeted John," Lemao added as Ezra popped his headphones off. Excited to start a banter that would last for the rest of the ride.

"Yeah! Because it's nice! It adds flair!" John said defensively "Plus I was more excited because Mr. Dean is cool as all get out," he pointed out. Leaning toward his siblings. Lemao smiled and rolled her eyes.