𝟏𝟔

Being known and successful has its perks

Being known and successful has its perks. It brings in money and business—it brings in opportunities. But, it also brings me to gatherings that leaves me wanting to take my car, and run over everything. I could always blame it on the car I brought this evening. 'It drives itself, but there was a malfunction.' One that caused me to ruin the entire event...accidentally. Then there's my riches, but I don't believe in throwing money to make my problems disappear, because, truth be told, they never truly disappear.

I sigh as I sip the golden liquid in my glass, looking around at anything that seems interesting—which proved to be nothing at this moment. Men in expensive suits and women in expensive dresses, with questionable hair and heel choices, are the only things that grace my eyes. They talk amongst themselves, fake smiles plastered on their faces as if they're scared to rest them. I almost grimace at the sight, but manage to continue judging silently.

"Rodrick knew better than to wear that suit out," James says, walking up to me with a cookie in hand, "I thought his wife was a fashion designer?"

James, on the other hand, doesn't mind judging aloud. He doesn't care too much about who hears; he happily wrings the freedom of speech dry.

"She is," I answer, "that's part of her latest collection."

"Shit, really?"

I nod.

"It's downright fucking ugly, and the sight makes me want to leave even more."

I smile, downing the rest of my drink, before placing it in one of the neat cup holders. James is the one who urged me to go, when I was fine with missing the event entirely. He claimed it looked good for status—me showing my face. I still didn't care, but you can't say no to James when he's sitting in front of you practically begging you with those soft eyes. He's also used that to his advantage, but I let it slide.

We've been here for two hours on end, and sat through various speeches—one being my own. I was immediately urged onto the stage upon arrival, my greetings falling on deaf ears. It was surprising at first, but not unexpected. I'm Ziya Caddel. A multimillionaire, and one of the best lawyers in the country. When you build your own firm from the ground up, and put its net worth into the billions...people obviously notice. And they want to partner with you. Add on the fact that I approve others businesses, and you attract people like the ones before me.

James groans from beside me, taking refuge in the pristine white seat that once held a box of wine. At least, that's what I'm assuming. I watch as he unbuttons the first two buttons on his shirt, welcoming the cool air on his skin. A minute doesn't pass before he's buttoning them back, shaking his head at the unforgiving weather.

"Can we just go?" he asks, looking down at the keys that now rested in his hand, "I didn't get a brand new car tonight for it to sit in a car loop."

"You wanted to be here, James," I remind.