Chapter 65 - Actions Speak Louder Than Words

CHAD'S POV

I watched Courtney walk to Jeremy's doorstep alone. And all I could say is that was a brave decision. She looked determined and committed, as if she was ready to take on whatever challenge awaited her. She put herself out there that could end in one of two ways - success or failure.

And I admire her courage in taking a risk and going for it.

Actually, I wasn't that surprise when she made this decision. Being with her for the past months and watching her reveal her real self to me, I have come to admire her strength and determination. She has always been determined to reach her goals, no matter the obstacles. She is brave.

I am proud to have been by her side and witness her transformation. I know she is too.

Just when I was watching her, my phone suddenly rang and I saw Olivia's name flashing on the screen. I stepped out of the car and answered it--but my eyes were still fixed on Courtney in case she needed anything.

"Hey," Olivia said the moment I picked it up. Her voice was sad and I could tell something was wrong.

"Is everything okay?"

There was a bit of hesitation from her, but I patiently waited for her response. "Chad, I don't know where to start." Her sigh was heavy, and I could tell she was in distress.

When Olivia came to our house, shock was an understatement. I really didn't expect her to come over, let alone stay for a week. I didn't even know she was in the cheerleading competition.

And whenever I recall that day, I feel guilty for looking past Courtney and not even acknowledging her presence. My mind was too focused on Livi, and keeping my emotions in check--in a different way. I had forgiven her, yes. But when I saw her, I couldn't help but remember what she had done. But still, I tried to be civil and keep my cool.

It's in the past now. I reminded myself.

Livi and I didn't talk about the past. It's either she avoided it, or we just didn't want to recall it. In my case, it was the latter. I just didn't want to dwell on it so I let her talk about her plans and the present. I listened to her as her friend, trying to be the kind of friend we used to be.

Because I felt that that's what she needed.

"Did something happen?" I asked when she didn't talk for a while.

"Something happened today." She started. "Something I didn't expect will change everything." I heard a faint chuckle in her voice as she said this.

"I thought avoiding the past or talking about it would be enough. I thought acting as if nothing had happened would erase it, but that was never the case." She took a deep breath before continuing, "I tried to get us back together, Chad. I would do anything again for that to happen. But someone pointed out that I didn't deserve you. What a total bitch I was and still am. I'm still that selfish snake that ruined you, us, and everything I had. I still do horrible things just to get what I want. I never changed at all."

Then she told me what had happened and what she had done to Courtney.

She felt she was a threat to us. She did everything in her power to put Courtney in a bad light. She blamed her for pushing her into the pool when she didn't. She confronted her this morning and told her off. She even made threats to keep Courtney away from me.

"I'm not proud of what I did. You may not know it, but she wrote you a letter. She said everything there, why she had to lie to you and about her secret. The secret I tried to use against her, to threaten her. But it didn't work. Instead, she took accountability for her mistakes, and in order to keep you out of it, she confessed to the principal and dropped out. Because she knows you will be tied up to her secret and it can ruin you."