Chapter 1: The Aftermath

(wednesday pov)
I cling desperately to Enid, standing in the courtyard surrounded by everyone else who had just experienced this harrowing night. I can't stand physical touch, but I let myself soak it all in, feeling her heart beat rapidly in her chest, and her lungs expand and release. Eventually, the hug stops, and I am left slightly colder than before. But when I get another look at Enid, my feelings change. She is a wreck. Tyler must have done more than I thought. Her eyes are welled with tears, carving paths through the blood stains. Blood doesn't look as interesting or cool. Not this time. I hurry her back to our room, ignoring everyone around us. Ajax and Xavier try to get our respective attentions, but I ignore them, focused entirely on the girl shaking in my arms.

When we get back to our dorm, I sit Enid down on my bed, and run to my desk for supplies. I pull out a soft cloth first, pouring some water from a small jar onto it, and holding Enid's chin in one hand while cleaning her up with the other. She doesn't speak or move, still shocked and broken. It makes my chest ache in a strange way. Once the blood is gone, I examine the cuts more closely. "You won't need stitches, but it could scar." Enid nods slightly, too tired to panic about a change to her appearance. I soak a small piece of gauze in rubbing alcohol. "This will hurt," I tell her, walking across the room and grabbing the least colorful pillow for her to hold while I do it. She tries to smile as I hand it to her, but winces and gives up. "Don't move your face," I scold her. I take her cheek gently into one hand as I use the other to wipe the dirt out of the cuts, and clean them properly. She squeezes the pillow, but doesn't move. It's funny, I usually find pain to be amusing. Not this time. I clean out the last of them, right across her forehead. "Stay there," I instruct, as I run over to the bathroom to get some proper bandaging. Enid complies. I grab a small brush while I'm in there, so I can get her hair slightly nicer before she has to keep her face wrapped. She looks at me when she sees it. "This will make it easier later," I tell her, before sitting down behind her and working some of the worst knots out. Then I wrap her up gently, being more careful than I usually am. I walk around to face her when I am finished. "Better?" I ask. She nods, and then worriedly reaches a hand up to the side of my face, her fingers coming back red. She looks at me. I had forgotten that it was there. "I guess I should probably clean that up, too," I laugh, trying to ease her discomfort, "Although it is barely a scratch." She doesn't look convinced, and I head over to the bathroom to clean up. It really can wait til morning, unlike her stuff, but I just want her to relax, and if this does it, then this is what I'll do. Wow. I really am going to a lot of trouble for my roommate's comfort.

When I get back, she has fallen asleep on my bed, fully out. I smile, and briefly contemplate lying next to her, but I have had enough physical contact for today. Instead I climb out the window, and look at the stars, eventually drifting to sleep with my back on the wall, comforted by the knowledge that Enid is peaceful behind me, asleep and safe. 

(enid pov)
I wake up in the middle of the night. Wednesday isn't in the room. I realize that I have fallen asleep in her bed, and that my bed would activate her allergies. I panic, wondering where she went, and what I should do, alone. But then I see her braids resting against the window, she is sitting right outside. I stand up shakily, and walk over to check my phone. 3:18 AM. Wow. Then I see the temperature. 2℃. "Wednesday," I breathe. I run back to her bed, and grab some blankets. I hurry out the other side of the window, blinking in the cold. Wednesday is asleep. I hurry over to her. She is breathing lightly, and shivering. I wrap a blanket around her, and huddle close, pulling one over me and wrapping the third over our legs. I rest my head on her shoulder, and grasp her hands to try and warm them with mine. She slowly wakes up, and looks at me, panicked. "Enid?" she asks, her eyes wide. My eyes narrow. How dare she be worried about me? "Wednesday! It's 2 degrees out here! You were going to freeze to death!" I glare at her. "I'm fine," Wednesday tells me. "No!" I exclaim, "I'm taking you inside. You won't admit it, but it is too cold out here." I stand up, and Wednesday sighs and follows, pulling up the other two blankets with her, and opening the window for me.

She follows me in, and sighs. I curl into my bed, and try to fall asleep again, secure with Wednesday safe inside again. 

(wednesday pov)
Enid drags me back inside, and curls right into her bed. I smile softly at her, but shake myself for feeling so... much. I sigh, and head back to my own bed with the blankets. I'll never admit it, but she probably did save me from hypothermia. I pull myself into the bed that smells like Enid, and start to drift off.

"Wednesday!"

The gut wrenching scream forces me upright. Enid is screaming. "Nonononononono!" She gasps, thrashing in her bed. I look outside, unsure of what to do. It is still dark. I cross into Enid's side of the room, and sit on the edge of her bed. Her claws are out and she is still screaming. Those screams will haunt me. I reach for her hand, but pull back as a claw glides across my wrist, drawing a thin string of blood. I pull back for her sake, and place my hand gently on her leg, attempting to offer some type of comfort. She starts to settle down at the touch, and her eyes open slowly. "Wednesday?" she asks, confused, "What happened?"

"You yell in your sleep now," I inform her. "Did I wake you?" she asks, looking apologetic. I shake it off. "I never sleep," I tell her, "So no. I came over here because you were going to mess up my brilliant bandage work." Enid sits up, her bandages unharmed. "You shouted my name," I inform her, "Do I scare you that much?" I successfully mask the hurt of the question. Enid shakes her head. "I was dreaming about tonight," she confesses, "About when Tyler almost had you." I look at her, inquisitive. "Wednesday," Enid's eyes are filled with tears, "What if I hadn't been strong enough? He would've..." She rubs her eyes with her hand. I place my hands on hers. "Enid, looking back on the past is foolish. You saved me. You saved everyone." I look up at her. She is staring at my hands. "Enid, you were-"

"Did I do that?" She cuts me off. "What?" I ask. "The cut. On your hand. Did I do that?" I look down at it, and then back at her. "Yes..." I start, but Enid doesn't let me finish. She pulls away, forcing herself under the blankets. "Enid," I try, but she interrupts me. "This is what I do. I mess everything up," she gasps between tears. "Saving you was a fluke. I'm weak and useless." I stare at the form shaking under the covers, and tentatively put my other hand on her back. She starts to pull away, but doesn't.

I move my fingers in small circles along her spine, trying to be a comforting presence in the blonde's moment of need. It is unclear why I care so much, but I am too tired to question it. "Enid," I say, "You are being ridiculous. You saved me, because I am here. You didn't hurt me on purpose, and I am fine. We both survived worse just tonight. Will you come out please?" Enid grunts. I sigh, continuing to rub the circles along her spine. Eventually, Enid sits up, and looks at me. "Wednesday?" She asks, her voice small. "What is it, Enid?"

"Will you stay here tonight?"

"No." Her face falls. "I'm allergic to color."

"Right." Enid sighs, wrapping her arms around herself. "Sorry," she tells me. I shake my head. "You will come to mine," I tell her. Enid looks at me, shocked, but nods, standing up excitedly. "I already regret this," I inform her as we walk across the room. "Too bad," she tells me. I settle onto the bed, and Enid tucks herself under one of my arms. I sigh slightly, but accept it. Enid holds my hand to her chest, and drifts to sleep, peaceful this time. I sleep well, too, for the first time in a long time.