Part 6: Next Stop

"So, the Sink Station is even cooler than it looks. It grows food for the entire Sink all year-round. It's powered completely by solar power, some of the best technology there is," I explained as we made our way up the elevator towards the station's higher floors. "The aquaponic system is refilled completely with rainwater, and it uses a fraction of the water that a typical farm would use. There's, I think--and I'll have to double-check these facts and send them to you--12 different breeds of fish, as well as hundreds of species of snails and bugs and plants, and over 100,000 gallons in that tank. We do use these fish for food, but they also have a pretty great life before that."

"Interesting." Sinclair scribbled in a small notebook as I led him across one of the glass walkways. He looked up. "Is that a point of contention? It seems like a lot of people are very against consuming animals of any sort."

I nodded and paused on the walkway. "You know, it can be contentious. I actually am not vegan myself, but I live with three vegans, and I totally understand where they're coming from. But I think they understand that the point is not to hurt or kill animals, the point is to feed people in a sustainable way. And that can be challenging, even for us. But, we're not a monolith, you know? Everyone that lives in The Sink has their own thoughts and opinions and beliefs."

He raised an eyebrow. "But you all just get along, huh?"

I met his look with a smile. "Do I detect some sarcasm, Mr. Sinclair?" The starchy honorific definitely seemed right for him.

He scoffed. "Maybe a little. I've just never seen a community without some strife--some troubles, some crime. And The Sink claims to be that."

"Well, we do actually get along quite well, but I don't know if we've ever claimed to be without crime or strife." I sensed him toeing the edge of his previous critique of The Sink—"A run-of-the-mill cult disguised under new-age communal environmentalism"—and I wondered if he would ever bring it up directly. "I understand your cynicism, but I think it'll become clearer as we continue."

"I wouldn't call it cynicism."

I held out my arms. "Look at this view." I'd taken him up to the top of the Sink Station to look over the plant pillars, the glass floor and ceiling, the small lake under the floor, and the towers beyond, on the other side of the glass walls, over the sprawling gardens, farms, and parks. I leaned on the guardrail, looking over it all. "I always feel like I'm at the top of a diamond. But, like, a living diamond, with a whole ecosystem inside it."

Sinclair glanced at me, scribbling. "Uh huh."

Maybe he wasn't cynical, according to him, but he certainly wasn't whimsical, either. "Well, are you ready to see the towers?"

...

The tram rolled back towards Bean Tower, winding between and stopping at the entrances to other towers, parks, entrances to hiking trails, pools, and other quaint landmarks dotted through The Sink. Sunlight shone through the trees and the tram's windows, dappling the seats with a warm orange glow.

"There's six towers in The Sink," I explained to Sinclair as the tram rolled on. "In each tower, there's lots of apartments, but there's also businesses and meeting centers and invention hubs, fitness studios, and lots more."

Sinclair gazed out the window, his face unreadable, watching, and nodding.

"Honestly, I could go on and on about The Sink." I chuckled. "But I know you don't have forever. So, we're going to check out some of the big highlights; the rooftop gardens, the automated kitchens and dining room, the robotics department, Hangout Park and Pool, and, of course, my place!" I smiled, and Sinclair glanced, giving another stoic nod. "Today and tomorrow, we're basically gonna go through 'a day in the life of,' you know? With a little extra pizzazz."

"That sounds good." He turned to me. "You said you had accommodations for me. Will I be staying with you?"

"I live with five other people, so we're pretty full up. But, we have some neighbors who just moved into a bigger unit, so their place is free. You'll be staying there. If that works for you?"

"Sure. You live with five other people?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's a full house!" I wondered briefly if our polyamorous family would only further cement Sinclair's suspicions that The Sink was a cult. But, it didn't feel good to lie about such a big, important part of myself, and I wasn't about to water myself down. "I live with my partners and some of their partners. We don't have a lot of chores or anything at The Sink, nobody really does, but we all do our part and we get along great."

"Right," Sinclair said slowly. "I've heard that, um, polyamory is an important part of this community. Would you say that's true?"

I half-shrugged. "Well, we probably have more polyamorist families than average here, but we have a lot of monogamist couples, singles, exclusive throuples, and a lot of different types of families."

One eye narrowed, studying me. "Are there kids here?"

"Of course! We also probably have more child-free families than average, but there are kids, too. Since a lot more people than usual don't have kids, there's a lot more helping hands available to watch the kids, teach, all that kind of stuff."

"Hm." Sinclair nodded. "And what if someone wants to leave?"

I gave a wry smile, knowing what he was thinking. "Anyone is welcome to leave at any time. There's no--"

"But they don't own anything, do they? No one owns anything in The Sink, right? So, how could they leave?" His hard gaze held mine.

"That's not completely true--the ownership thing. And, if anyone wants to leave, we help them do it. Just like any place, we don't want anybody to be stuck here who doesn't want to be here." I studied the hardness in Sinclair's eyes. Behind it, I thought I could see something other than derision or suspicion. It was concern. It was his job to uncover corruption and manipulation, and he took his job seriously. He didn't want anyone to be trapped. I had to admit, even if I didn't like his suspicion, he did have honorable intent. "Very few people leave, though," I went on. His gaze hardened just a bit, almost covered up by his trained stoicism. "I know how that sounds, but I think you'll see what I mean. Just give The Sink a chance, that's all I ask."

He nodded, his expression unreadable again. "Of course. That's why I'm here."

I smiled. "I'm glad you wanted to visit."

An announcement came over the tram: "Next stop, Bean Tower."

My smile broadened as my plant-covered tower rolled into view. "This is us!"