1. Blood Red Sails

THE PIRATE KING

••
When the winds shift west
And the sun soon sets
Steady those vessels, pull in your nets
If blood soaked red
Sails soon appear
Make peace with Death, The Pirate King is near
••

Alistair

"Mercy! Please!"

"Mercy! Please!"

A blood curdling scream rang through the harsh, piercing clash of metal swords, a screeching sound that could bring ringing to your ears if it wasn't all somewhat muddied by the raging sea testing strength against both ships.

That wretched scream didn't last long. Not many had tonight.

"Ah," I sighed, readjusting the fasten for my blade that had come loose around my waist, as that sweet harmonic melody of death filled my ears. "You think this bloodshed will bring the men enough peace tonight?"

"I believe so." Cael returned, raising his voice for me to hear over the continued sounds of balanced metal meeting its weaker foe, followed by the agonizing last cries of men that weren't mine. My men had boarded the vessel only moments ago and yet I knew the fight wouldn't go on for much longer. The ship we boarded was nothing more than mere cargo, transported by merchants journeying around the sectioned off piece of Azul.

That tropical coast was home to many businesses that had only expanded in years due to its convenient location right on water. Little did they know the sea was my territory.

This rich trade had made for easy pickings, and though I knew our men didn't need the food that this ship carried, I had pushed them too long at sea without a single fight. And my men were not men you should let get bored, the deadly game of dice they played throughout the night had proved that.

I wasn't sure how to explain to these bastards that if they all killed each other, there's be no one left to actually run the fucking ship.

Which meant that if blood was to be spilt again tonight, it wouldn't be from my crew.

"I can confirm we lost three men to that dice game last night."

"Lovely." I sighed more to myself. "Oh how I wish some of them would pick up a book. I'm tiring from cleaning these floorboards-"

"You haven't scrubbed these floorboards in years."

"Well I'm tiring of constantly giving others the order to." I clarified. Cael scoffed. Before he could answer, I heard the signal from one of my men. A clear piercing whistle that cut through the dying cries of merchant who'd fallen to the sword.

Cael and I each cut one of the sail ropes, using them to hoist ourselves across our latched on ship to the merchants vessel. My men had already started to clean up, dragging the dead men into piles on the main deck. My feet hit the wooden planks with a loud thud, cracking the ledge boards before Cael landed much more gracefully close beside me. The noise brought my men's attention over to us at the edge of the ship.