twenty four

Chapter Twenty-Four

He was shoved against the wall

He was shoved against the wall. The sharp impact blurred his vision as two figures closed in, their faces hidden in the shadows. There was a gleam of metallic glint; a quick flash of the dagger and an echo of the warning they had come with.

They left as quickly as they had appeared. His cold hands pressed against his shoulder as warm blood gushed forth. Pain shot through his shoulders and arms. His eyes squeezed shut. Ya Allah. He slid against the wall, fighting the darkness that appeared in front of his eyes. Shallow and sharp breaths escaped his constricted throat as his blurred vision made out a third figure appearing in the alleyway.

There was a distant voice. Someone was calling out his name —

His grip on consciousness loosened. His lips moved: La Ilaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah.

Someone grabbed him by the shoulders. There was a gleam of light, and then, darkness.

Hushed voices

Hushed voices. The words began to clear as he fought against his subconsciousness.

"What happened-"

"I don't know! I- I just saw those two men."

Aleena and Rahul.

His other senses did not return to him as quickly. He could not open his eyes, but he could hear the tears in Aleena's shaking voice and the panic in Rahul's. The ache in his head and his shoulders and arms had not subsided but it had lessened. The familiar charpai shifted beneath him, and a blanket covered him from the cold.

Under the blanket, a hand held his.

Mahrosh? Where is-? Abruptly, his eyes snapped open. His dark eyes clashed against a pair of glazed orbs. Walid's heart settled.

Rahul and Aleena's voices hushed as Walid tried to sit up. His shoulder and head had been bandaged; but the throbbing pain lingered. Rahul stepped forward to help him but he raised a hand, his voice hoarse. "I'm fine, Alhamdulillah."