Part Seven

"In love, there are two things—bodies and words." - Joyce Carol Oates

We finished getting ready since we were cutting it close on time. The party starts at eight and it's seven thirty-four right now. Rushing is not something that comes naturally to me because usually I'm always on time, but right now I was hitting top speed. I scrolled through Pinterest to figure out what to do with my hair and landed on a cute claw clip look.

I ran to my bathroom, grabbed my products, and started while Nikki and Beck were curling their hair and fixing their makeup. I did mine before they came over because I like to take my time getting ready. It was natural with a little smokey eye and maroon, nothing too fancy because I didn't feel like over doing it, but it hit the standard.

I slicked back my thick curls piled them on top of my head and clipped them in place with a clear claw clip. I pulled the front two pieces of my hair to frame my face and I was finally done. It was cute, quick and simple. Perfect. I grabbed my black purse that hung on my closet door handle and told the girls I was ready.

They scrambled to get up, grabbed the car keys and headed for the front door. I laughed at their attempt to race each other to the door and walked out of my room to knock on West's door, but I heard his voice in the living room.

Of course, he's already ready. Walking into the living room, my body flared with embarrassment. Embarrassed by how West and I were dressed alike and how good I thought he looked.

He wore a fitted black shirt, loose black jeans, and white Air Force shoes. His hands displayed the same few silver rings from earlier today. His hair was still in its gelled look.

I subtly shifted my eyes toward the girls standing at the door, but as I did, my eyes went back to traveling over his body. His forearms had to be busting the seams every time he moved. His tattoos peeked out from under his sleeve.

He stood when he saw me and sucked air through his teeth. As much as I would deny it until my last breath, my body was revving getting this reaction from him. It was like a drug. I don't crave his validation, no, but when his eyes roam me in ways I used to dream about, chills lick up my spine.

Nikki and Beck waited by the door smirking and eyeing us two. It wasn't until then I noticed another pair of eyes looking in our direction. Mom and Dad were at the kitchen counter giggling.

"Have fun kiddos, and no drinking or drugs." Dad laughed but I knew he was dead serious.

"I'll keep them in check, Mr. Gonzales." Nikki saluted.

"We should get going," I said. I waved bye to my parents and pushed the girls out the door.

What I was about to was going to make my gag reflex a living nightmare. "Are you coming, babe?" I sneaked a glance at my parents and they looked like their eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. I grabbed his hand and rushed out the door. I didn't plan on that being how they found out but it'll be easier to explain then sitting them down and unleashing the damned secret. I'll explain later. Or maybe never. Never sounds good to me.

I let go once West opened the door for me. Being near him just somehow made my body heat up in flames. Flames of anger. From hell. He can look as delicious as he wants to, but it doesn't change who he is.

I slid into Nikki's Honda and strapped in. Once we got going, West leaned over close enough so I could hear it through the music they blasted. I could smell his cologne. Musky and minty. His lips brushed my ear.

"Don't fuck this up Evie." His voice was low. But I leaned back a bit and looked at him before answering.

I grinned. "I wouldn't plan on it." He repositioned himself and looked out the window, and I did the same.