31. Obedient Sun Fuyu

As for Wen Zhihao and Sun Fuyu, they remained ignorant of their brief brush with Lin Yijun’s scrutiny.

Now that Sun Fuyu was an inner sect disciple, he received two new sets of golden inner-sect robes, an increased salary, and personal mentoring from his new mentor, Senior Cultivator Liu Zhongmin. Sun Fuyu no longer needed to attend the outer sect disciples’ classes, nor the morning sword practice under Zhang Wu.

Liu Zhongmin was a fair and flexible mentor. A day after the Intra-Sect Competition, she called Sun Fuyu to Elder Liu’s mountain where Liu Zhongmin’s buildings and training halls were. The characteristics of Elder Liu’s mountain was: simplistic, with a lot of natural light. The windows were unusually large and filled with glass, compared to the typical paper-covered windows in the rest of the Sect.

Liu Zhongmin was a fairly tall cultivator, looking distinguished and somewhat on the older side of middle-aged. In contrast, her movements were sprightly and smooth.

“This disciple greets Shifu Liu,” Sun Fuyu said obediently.

“Greetings, little disciple,” Liu Zhongmin replied, restraining her own hands. “You have cleared your old room.”

“Yes.”

“Follow me.”

Liu Zhongmin had large living quarters for herself and for her direct disciples. Of course, matters of seniority had to be followed, so the room she assigned Sun Fuyu was one of the smaller ones, in the building wing where the other relatively new disciples stayed.

Though it was ‘smaller’, the new room was very spacious in comparison to the outer sect disciples’ dormitories. Liu Zhongmin gave Sun Fuyu a special jade pendant that was the key to the room.

“You can unpack later,” Liu Zhongmin said. Since Sun Fuyu wasn’t carrying anything physically, it must all be in a spatial ring. “Were you tired flying up here?”

Sun Fuyu immediately shook his head. “Not tired, Shifu. I am used to flying long distances outside the sect.”

Liu Zhongmin thought satisfactorily, This Disciple Sun Fuyu is very diligent, taking missions outside the sect already! He is a very good seedling. “Come then, our training area is this way.”

In contrast, Sun Fuyu was thinking about when he and Wen Zhihao went out together on New Year’s Eve…

At one of the open training fields, Liu Zhongmin carefully assessed Sun Fuyu by directly fighting him with a wooden sword. She corrected a few moves and went on to examine the jade slips containing the sword cultivation manuals that he had been using.

Liu Zhongmin thoughtfully gave him two new, more advanced cultivation manuals encoded into some jade slips that should be suitable.

“Examine these, and I will assess you again once every week. Your sword form is good. However, you lack experience. I recommend you change your training location every day, and practice your sword forms while in the air, between the trees, in narrowed alleys. I will assign you two hours every month to train on the Thousand Needles Cliff. At this stage, you can also take second-grade missions.”

“Yes,” Sun Fuyu said obediently.

“If I accept a mission where it is suitable to take you, I will inform you. In the meantime, I will introduce you to my other disciples. You can also accompany them on lower-grade missions.”

Sun Fuyu nodded, but he had a hesitant look in his eyes. “Shifu, am I able to have an outer sect disciple accompany me?”

Liu Zhongmin’s eyes softened. It was not surprising that this little disciple would still have friends among the outer sect disciples. “Yes, but you must take care of them since they are weaker than you.”