Chapter Three

C H A P T E R   T H R E E

RAY'S plan had failed twice now, neither Jasper nor Charlotte being successful in their task to find out what Juliette Dunlop knew.

It had come time for Henry's turn, and he was absolutely dreading it. He hadn't spoken to Juliette outside of text since the day at the hospital; the thought of spying on her for Ray, knowing the chances of him wiping her memory, didn't sit right with him.

Henry had already fought tooth and nail to keep the man from wiping Jasper's memory, and sometimes when Jasper would get on Ray's nerves, he still had to stop him from grabbing the memory erasing device.

The blonde waited anxiously at Frosty's, having texted the Dunlop girl the night before and made plans to meet up at the frozen yogurt shop. He didn't want a ride from her that day, fearful that he would slip up instead.

The jingling of the overhead bell at the door signaled to him that someone had entered; turning his head, his cinnamon eyes met the oak ones of a joyous Juliette Dunlop.

     The Dunlop girl hadn't pondered on her discovery too much, accepting it for what it was and not allowing it to curse her daily life.

     So, when Henry had messaged her the night before asking to hang out for the first time in months, she leapt at the opportunity. Her respect for her friend had somehow heightened even more at the knowledge that he was risking his life nearly every night.

     Plus, she'd missed his company.

     Juliette had obviously taken note of her friend and brother's odd behavior in the days prior, drawing the conclusion that they'd just grown nervous she was going to tell somebody else that she'd recognized Kid Danger's voice.

     Henry went to hug her, suddenly remembering the wire on his chest. He pulled her into a side-hug, before the duo had gone to order at the counter.

     "That'll be $10.70."

     Juliette nodded, going to pull out her wallet to pay for herself — but she'd been stopped. Looking up at her friend in confusion, she'd watched as he placed $11 on the counter and lead her to their table.

     "Thanks, Hen." She chuckled, "You didn't have to do that, though."

     "Eh, take it as an apology for not being around much recently." He smiled, sliding her yogurt toward her. "Besides, a gentleman always pays."

     Juliette raised an eyebrow, nearly snorting at his words. "Are you claiming yourself as a gentleman?"

     "Yes."

     "Whatever you say, Hen." She chuckled, taking a bite of the chocolate caramel treat. "So, why the sudden want to hang out?"

     Henry gulped, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "I dunno... Just... missed hanging out with you. Is that a crime, Jules?"

     "I missed hanging out with you too, Hen."

     The pair had fallen into normal conversation, catching up with one another just as Juliette had been waiting for.

     If she were to be honest, she'd missed hanging out with Henry more than the others. They'd always had a closer friendship than she and Charlotte, and she loved rubbing it in Jasper's face that she was Henry's favorite twin — though he would always deny it to the boy's face.

     A long-forgotten sense of normality had overcome the teens, something that Juliette had deeply missed in regards of her friends.

     But, not all good things last.