Ch. 21- "Not a Date"

This is a bit of a lengthy one. Enjoy and Happy Valentine's if you celebrate!

********

"What are you going to wear for your date?" Lena asked.
"First of all," she pointed a finger at her friend. "It is NOT a date...I'm pretty sure that I said this before."
"I think maybe..just maybe you're protesting a bit too much," Lena retorted.

They were in Esi's room trying to pick an outfit for her meetup with Porte. Let the record show that Esi did not invite Lena to help her choose because she was not making as big a deal as her friend was. The thought did cross her mind to look decent, at least, but she wasn't going to go all out.

Lena was sitting in Esi's computer desk chair using her hand to pivot back and forth from one end of the desk to the other causing a dent in the carpeted floor.
Esi rolled her eyes as Lena teased her.
"That's because it isn't a date...we're just going to be doing some work."
"Ohhh..so it's a study date?"

Esi grabbed a black cardigan that was draped across her queen-sized bed and chucked it at her roommate.
Lena squealed. "Okay...Okay. Not a date..."
"Thank you." Since Lena was here, she might as well utilize her help. "Which do you think?" She pointed to two outfits laid across her bed.
"The Marigold top goes great with your skin."

It was a long sleeved mock-neck top that her friend may or not have selected because it clung to her torso.
"Is that the only reason why you chose it," Esi asked with narrowed eyes.
Lena smirked, "Mira...if you have it," she gestured towards Esi's breasts. "Use them, baby!"

"I feel like you have forgotten that I'm not trying to use them because it's not a date."
"But if you use them, then it can become a date,"Lena offered.

"You know what...get out!" Esi teased. "My breasts are not in the mood to be prostituted by you today."

She ushered her friend out of the room gently.
"I'll show you my fit before I leave, alright?"
"Fine," Lena answered begrudgingly and dragged her feet along the corridor.

Esi chuckled at her friend's display.

Before Lena went into her room, she turned back towards Esi and shouted, "I hope you know that you still have to tell me every single detail."
"Mind your business, Magda!" Esi shouted back, teasing her.
"Honestly, no respect at all!" Lena slammed her door.
As much as Esi teased her friend, she knew that she would still have to end up telling her everything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a strong possibility that Esi was nervous. She was constantly rubbing her palms against the jeans of her thighs. And, ever so often, she would brush her hands against her edges to ensure that they were still as sleek as possible. Not much could be said for most of her bun. Her curls gave her hair a wavy finish instead of a smooth look.

Esi was sitting in her vehicle across from the coffee shop. She was to meet Porte at 12:30pm, but she had gotten there 15 minutes early. It was now 12:25pm, and she still didn't see his vehicle. Porte didn't seem like the type of person to stand her up, and if there was an emergency, she would like to think that he would have let her know.

Sighing, Esi grabbed her tote, and exited her car.

As she made her way into the cafe, she cringed at how full it was. That's what they got for coming here on a weekend when most students were off from class. She looked around, desperately seeking an empty table so she wouldn't have to stand in the doorway awkwardly.
She looked towards the back, where the coveted seats were away from the crowds going in and out
He was there. Already seated. With a perfect view of her.

Porte was sitting, leaning backward against the chair, his long legs crossed at the ankles and stretched out beside the table. He was looking down at his phone, his fingers of his right hand tapping on the table top. His black rimmed glasses resting on a napkin.