Part 2 - the asylum

I pulled up my car by the pavement, leaving it, not next to the asylum, but near it.
I clambered out of my car, remembering to pin my badge - that read y/n l/n - onto my coat. I walked with a swift step, constantly reassuring myself that I wasn't late. I looked at my watch - 10:23. I'd just about made it, giving myself a few minutes to walk there and get inside.

At the asylum I worked with my friend Poppy - who soon grew to be my best friend. She was an intelligent, outgoing, person that made me enjoy my work and kept me going. I saw her as I walked up the steps to the entrance - her gaze scanning my face of tiredness.

"Y/n you look terrible

"Y/n you look terrible. Why don't you ask to have days off?? You know you need them so I don't understand why you don't." She spoke, with a tone of care and dissatisfaction.

"This is our last week of work before we finish and have our break - it'd be pointless to take days off now. And anyway, I'm completely fine I've just been having a few bad nights. That's all."

Poppy knew I was lying. I hadn't been able to sleep for months as the stress of my bills grew in my mind. I didn't know what to do.
I felt completely helpless.

"Ok fine. I'll believe you for now. But when we have that break I want you to really let yourself rest otherwise you're going to burn out." She said, shutting the doors behind us as we both walked into the asylum.

Poppy didn't know my bills had grown over the past few months and she definitely didn't know I had no money to pay them all. She was only trying to be the reassuring best friend I needed - yet she didn't seem to help.

Walking into the asylum was like entering an entirely different area. It had clean, bleak, white walls that were lit by lights that shined brightly above. It was always so clean. An unsettling kind of clean. The eeriness of the building made my body shudder as I walked with Poppy to the coworker room. There were other workers there of course, but I didn't know any of them as well as I knew Poppy. In fact, I didn't know most of their names as they never even bothered to try and talk to me.
The only other worker I knew was Dr Crane.
Jonathan, Crane.

We both placed our bags in our designated spots and looked at each other with a sigh. We both knew it was another day of running round and sorting files and then making continuous coffees for different staff. But it was our job. And I needed the money.