Chapter 2

District 12 sinks into chaos, frantic movements and cries of panic replacing the previous sense of order, when a gurgle erupts from Cinder Fawn's throat.

As I glance over, her eyes roll back revealing two bloodshot white orbs, and her legs give out from under her. Maysilee Donner and I scramble to hold her up, a reflex we'll have to ignore once we're trapped inside the arena.

"What should we do?" Maysilee says over the girl's head.

I readjust my grip. "Let's lay her down."

Like frightened puppies, Belladonna and Effie Trinket cling to each other offstage as we position Cinder's limp body across the floor. At least she's still breathing, which is more than I can say for Strayer.

I peer into the square. Two Peacekeepers grip the mammoth teen beneath his arms and drag him through the hordes of onlookers until they disappear inside the Justice Building. Not one person steps forward to claim him. No family or friends. They're too afraid to admit responsibility. Can't say I blame them. On the rare occasion someone challenges the rules, they risk not only their life, but the lives of every person they know and love.

The message is clear: President Snow always wins, and he'll destroy your entire world making sure you don't forget it.

"You're okay. Haymitch and I are here with you." Maysilee's voice is soothing as if she's comforting a small child. With long strokes, her fingertips caress Cinder's eyebrows, following the delicate arches until they trail off and then starting over from the beginning.

I don't know why she's troubling herself. In a few days, she'll be expected to kill this girl if the opportunity arises. If Cinder's mental health is this fragile, her very existence is a threat to every person around her.

"What are you doing?"

Maysilee looks up at me. "My mama does this every time my younger siblings wake up from a nightmare. Why—you think I should let her suffer? Turn my back as she loses her mind before the Games even start?"

"Sounds like a solid strategy."

Nothing says "teamwork" like ensuring your fellow Tribute gets a front row seat to their own demise. Maybe if Cinder's sanity checks out early, she won't even realize when she's faced with certain death. A small kindness, if you ask me.

Cinder's eyes move beneath their lids. When they flutter open, she bolts up to a sitting position, her lungs gasping as if she just emerged from underwater.

Maysilee grasps her hand. "Shhh. You're alright."

"What happened?" Cinder's eyes rise to meet mine.

"You nailed your audition for Sleeping Beauty," I tell her, referring to a well-known fable passed down from the Old World.

Maysilee lifts a disapproving eyebrow in my direction. "I thought Belladonna said you were funny."

Despite the obvious dig, I can't hide my amusement. "Sorry to disappoint. Hopefully my knack for survival outshines my underwhelming comedic skills."

When the square calms, Belladonna plants a kiss on Effie's head and makes her way back to the podium. "Well, then. What an unexpected display of...showmanship." She glances around with uncertainty. "I'm not sure what the protocol is for this type of, uh, situation, but I suppose I should choose another Tribute."

As Maysilee and I help Cinder to her feet, Belladonna prances toward the glass bowl and plucks out another name, unfolding the paper once she returns to the mic.

She clears her throat. "Let's try this again, shall we? Tribute number four to represent District 12 in the Second Quarter Quell is...Thorne Ravenshaw!" She takes a deep breath and smiles, an obvious effort to regain her former enthusiasm. "Come, come, come—our day is just beginning!"