Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Settling in
It felt weird being a baby. You don't remember much of it the first time around. But in this life, I was fully conscious, experiencing life in my tiny body. It was something I didn't think would happen to me a second time.

My new parents picked my new twin sister and I up. Lorelai continued staring at me curiously, probably wondering who this new child was.

She gurgled and averted her gaze, looking around the house we found ourselves in. It was a relatively slight, with brick walls, wooden support beams, and a wooden roof. A hearth burned faintly in the back of the room. I guessed we were in some sort of living room.

My dad, who was the one carrying me, addressed the midwife. "Thank you, Gretha," he said, obviously relieved. "You're the best medic we've ever seen. Your skills could make you a fortune in a bigger city, but you decide to stay here."

Gretha was a matron who looked about sixty, give or take a little. Her brown hair was nearly fully gray with age. She wore a homespun smock and a frock coat over it. Her eyes were a kindly, warm brown.

"Someone sure taught you to respect your elders," Gretha said wryly. "I'm sure I could work for some upstart noble in a city like Grandfront and then retire in ten years rolling in more money than I know what to do with." She chuckled and looked out the window with a fond smile. "But I'm more than content in a small town like this. My roots are old, and they don't have the strength to move to different soil. Besides, you two pay well still."

That last comment struck me as peculiar. Our house was modest as best, but she said that we pay well? Strange.

"The same as ever, huh?" Dad joked.

"I've been healing your scratches since you were a child, Darius. Are you so quick to get rid of me?" Gretha laughed and gathered her bag, which I guess stored her medical supplies.

"You're harder to get rid of than an unhelpful Spirit," Dad shook his head.

Spirit? What did that mean? More questions. I knew nothing about this world. And that was a huge disadvantage I would have to fix later on.

"As much as I would usually enjoy your banter, I'm tired and I need to rest," Mom said weakly.

"Of course," Gretha said warmly. "I'll take my leave." She turned to Lorelai and I, smiling kindly. "They have no idea how lucky they are to have parents like you two."

The elderly woman picked up her walking stick, using it to steady herself as she made her way to the front door, exiting our home.

"Honey, would you be a dear and help me to our bed?" Mom yawned.

"First let's get the children to their cot," Dad said gently, picking us up and giving us both kisses on the forehead. "Your mother needs some rest. Welcome to your home, you two."

Mom looked at us with warm green eyes. "Vali looks like you."

"And Lorelai looks like you," Dad said in the same soft, delighted tone.

A rush of emotion flowed through me as I was claimed by my parents.

I was born into a loving family.

But I felt guilty.

I knew I would ruin it someday.

But I'd try my damned hardest to not have that happen. I won't let Condemner of Sinners control my life.

Not this time.

I'm sorry Dad, Mom, and Mona. I'm sorry for it all.

But I have a second chance now. And I'm not going to mess it up.