The Queen's Suite

Kal sat perched in a chair, knees tucked under her nightgown. She was eating a sugared orange slice. It was so sweet! She could almost hardly eat it. She looked at the Queen and said, "Keep going! I want to know more about you. You're not off the hook with me yet."

Finnula smiled, reclined on her chaise, and lazily ate a tiny mincemeat pie. "Mmm. Well. Terrible governess lasted quite a long while. I found a lot of love from one of my father's advisors, who taught me diplomacy lessons from the time I could hold a pen. He was my sip of kindness in an ocean of indifference and strictness."

Kal nodded. "I'm glad you had that in your life, so you knew what kindness was supposed to feel like."

The Queen smiled at her Girl. "I adore you. You sweet woman."

Kal lifted her brows. "Oh dear. My reputation! But please, please go on. I find your personal life fascinating because the way you describe it sounds like no one's ever asked you before."

"No one ever has. Not past lovers, not even Lonnie." Finnula paused eating. This little fact made Kal all the more priceless to her. She smiled. "The governess lasted for several years, but when I ascended the throne, I did something a bit naughty."

"What did you do?"

"Governesses, nannies, those closest to the monarchs as children have a special place in the coronation. But I purposefully exempted her. She was not even allowed in the temple where I was crowned. She had to celebrate outside with everyone else. It was a great shame. I didn't put anyone in that spot. I left it empty." Finnula smiled to herself at the memory.

"I like that mischievous smile," Kal said, grinning. "I like your wild side."

Finnula chuckled. "A Queen must move diplomatically, it's true. I don't feel that wild."

"No, it truly is. It's the first step in taking hold of your own destiny. Even if you couldn't be overt. That's okay. You did something shattering anyway. I'm sure she had such a face!"

"i imagine she did."

"How do you find being Queen, even though you're still sort of new?"

"In the years I've been wearing the Crown I have found it weighty. But it was meant to be mine. I wear it proudly. Though, as a younger woman, it was difficult to make the transition from Princess to Queen. I had a partner for a little while and that helped, but she floated away when her clan called her home. Lonnie kept me company, and then there was—well—"

Kal tilted her head.

The Queen sighed. She settled her half-finished pie on a plate and picked up her teacup for a sip. "Princess Yulia came into my life for a time."

"Oh, what a heavy pause. Should I be worried?"

The Queen gave her a sad smile. "I'm afraid so. She was truly a mistake. I don't know why I gave into her affections. Perhaps I was lonesome. I don't quite know. But she was cruel, and treated everyone beneath her with disdain. I did not care for her behavior, and she stretched my patience too thin."

Kal nodded in understanding. She had met snoots like her, they were everywhere and in every caste.

The Queen said, "Before I left to tour the country, I told her to leave. I couldn't have her here anymore."

"And she's—still here?"

"She found a loophole in a law that allowed her to stay for a few months after her eviction." The Queen put down her teacup and made a soft sound of frustration.

"Means she's a clever cog." Kal came over and sat by the Queen, and took her hand. "I'm not scared of a snoot, okay?"

Finnula giggled. "A snoot?"

"A snoot! Yes! She's got to leave eventually, right?"

"Correct. She cannot stay longer than what is allowed by law."

"No problem then! Right?"

The Queen smiled. "I love your enthusiasm. Yes. It shan't be a problem to get that woman out of my palace."

Kal said, "She must have really upset you."

"Well. She was just...so cruel. I did not care for that one bit. It is disgusting behavior."

Kal beamed at Finnula. "This is why you're my Queen."

Finnula was struck speechless and flushed deeply.