Wings

Song - Wings by Haerts

The short trip to the sandy shore is filled with tension and nervousness. Without wasting a single second, we're trekking up the beach toward the dense treeline.

"Let's be rid of this fucking thing," Captain Cormac shakes the bone in his tightly closed fist.

He pushes through the thick brush on a mission. The rest of us follow quickly and silently behind him. No one dares make a single sound.

The canopy above us blocks out the sun, so I can't tell how much time has passed, but it feels like forever. We walk and walk, then walk some more. This island is much larger than it appears.

The ground beneath us starts to tilt upward until we're walking up the sloping side of a large hill.

Halfway up, Cooper grabs my arm, silently getting my attention. He points up toward a collection of large boulders and rocks up ahead. As we get closer, I can see that the rocks form an opening on the side of the hill. A cave.

Captain Comrac walks into the cave without looking back.

Nervously, I reach for Cooper's hand. Everyone stands, staring at the mouth of the cave, watching and waiting.

Several minutes go by before he emerges with a large grin stretched across his face.

"It's done, boys!" He claps his hands together. "Let's get to shore and set up camp!"

Cautiously, I look at the members of the crew, and my heart sinks. They're all smiling and cheering, but it's fake. I can feel it. They're playing along to keep him calm. The relief that I was hoping would sweep through us all is notably not present.

Cooper squeezes my hand tight. When I look up at him, he shakes his head, urging me to keep my head down.

When we reach the beach, Captain Cormac orders shelters and fire pits to be built in the sand.

"We'll gather food and rum from the ship," Cooper calls, pulling me toward the shore.

"I'll join you!" Big Jones runs into the surf after us.

As they row us out toward the ship, I feel like I can breathe for the first time.

"Fuck," Cooper growls, stopping to rub his temples.

"Give it time, lad. Remember, we didn't feel anything until the first full moon. Maybe this is more of the same. We'll feel different once the full moon comes and goes."

Sighing deeply, he nods.

When we reach the ship, I jump up to climb the ladder before he can grab me and throw me over his shoulder.

Big Jones laughs loudly below as I reach the deck. I can feel Cooper hot on my heels as I run across the ship to the galley.

He catches me in the galley and pulls my back into his chest. With his arms tightly around me, I lean into him.

"You're getting pretty fast on the ladders," I can hear the smile on his lips.

Humming, I spin around to wrap my arms around his neck. "I do feel more comfortable."

"There's a little pool on the island," he presses a trail of kisses over my jaw. "I want to take you for a swim."

Excitement courses through me. We'll be on land for a few days with space between us and the rest of the crew. The possibilities are endless.

"Let's hurry," I grab a crate of potatoes and beans.

He laughs loudly and swats my behind before grabbing a barrel of rum and hoisting it up over his shoulder.