Chapter 19 : Punishment

Alexander

It is morning now, last night Astria proved that she does not deserve to be my sister. She made the Duke angry and purposely blamed Eleanor, making the Duke decide to punish her.

Also I do not call him 'Father' anymore. He doesn't deserve the title after what he did to mother. And now his illegitimate daughter is trying to destroy this family.

I get that she is still suffering from grief of her mother's death, but she just starts crying at everything!

And everyone just gives her pity because of that. I have to warn Eleanor about this punishment that the Duke will give her. I don't think it will be a good one.

I walk to her room and knock. She does not open it. Wait, she is not sick is she? Is that why she was tired yesterday? I open the door to see her all dressed up for the day, sitting on the table and staring at the bed, talking to herself? 

Don't tell me that Astria gave her such a trauma that she has started talking to herself.

"Eleanor" I ask, "Are you ok?! Who are you talking to?" I ask her

She suddenly looks at me, a bit alarmed.

"I was talking to no one brother, I actually was kind of imagining myself in....never mind, it is embarrassing." she says

So she feels so lonely that she sits in her room daydreaming?

"What? Nora, are you feeling lonely?" I ask her

"What, No!" she replies "I was just bored"

"But why are you here so early in the morning? It's not like I don't want you here but just out of curiosi"-I cut her

"I am here to inform you about an issue we faced because of Astria last night..." I say as I tell her what happened yesterday. She looks deep in thought.

"It's ok brother, Astria would have not meant it to end like that, you should forgive her" she says, smiling.

Oh my sister is too kind for her own good! She should not be so kind! People will take advantage of her

We talk for some more time, discussing magic and other things before Melissa, her maid, comes in.

"Miss and Young Master, the Duchess has requested you for breakfast." she says and we get up to leave. I hold Nora's hand tightly assuring her that I will protect her from the punishment. She just smiles faintly.

Eleanor

Alex told me that I will be getting a punishment. From what he told it felt like that Astria purposely did that. But Alex hates her so maybe it was not entirely like that.

I am ignoring her right now. But if she turns out to be someone evil then I will definitely not support her.

We enter the room and I notice Astria sitting at my seat.

"Don't you get it? This is not your seat! I warned you yesterday. Why do you keep sitting there!" Alex shouts

"I am sorry I f f-forgot about it. I will move from this seat." she says with teary eyes

"She is such a cry baby" Orion says as I ignore his comment

Wait, wait! This is a scene from the first book of the series! In this scene Eleanor had bullied Astria the night before and stopped her from coming downstairs to eat dinner. However the Duke found out about it the next morning and punished Eleanor by refusing her to eat food that day.

Eleanor then sneaks off and steals food from the kitchen but Alexander sees her and snitches on her. As a result the Duke punishes her again by making her duel one of the  knight's children who is a year older than her. But since she had just awakened her magic and had no training she loses and is embarrassed in front of everyone.

How can I be so forgetful! I will not have food today! Ugh..

"She will not move" says the Duke "Do not make a fuss about such a small matter Alexander, Eleanor can just sit somewhere else." he replies

Before Alexander can argue I just sit at the empty seat beside my mother. Alexander however gets up and sits beside me as the Duke glares at us.

________________________________________________

The Seating Arrangement

________________________________________________

Before the servants can serve food onto my plate the Duke stops them and starts speaking.

"Eleanor, since you did not attend dinner last night, which was officially Astria's first dinner with her family, you disrespected her. Thus you will be punished and not be allowed to eat food today. But you will still have to come and sit with us when we eat to make up for the dinner you missed with Astria." he says

"You can't do that" Alex says

"It's okay brother Alex, I accept it. And I apologize to Astria for disrespecting her unknowingly, I never knew she would feel sad because of it" I say trying to end this commotion.

"Charles, this is too much for a punishment." mother says, "in fact Eleanor must be hungry because she didn't eat dinner yesterday, it is not good for her heal"-she says but is cut off by Astria

"Please Papa do not punish sister! I have already forgiven her. She will get sick!" she says

"It is her mistake and she will pay for it." the Duke says as he resumes to eat his food.

However no one else eats. He again orders everyone to eat but only Astria eats some bites because she gets scared of him.

I feel guilty, thus I say

"If you all will not eat food then I will not eat food tomorrow too"

"No you can't"-

"Yes I will brother, now please, both you and Mother resume to eat your food for my sake." I say as they start eating slowly