♥ The Power of Kindness ♥

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, 'When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of heaven are opened, and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained.'

-Sahih Bukhari

*

Narrated Abu Huraira: 'The Prophet (SAW) said, 'Whoever does not give up forged speech and evil action, Allah is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (i.e. Allah will not accept his fasting.)

-Sahib Bukhari

In the packed bus of the bustling city, Sara held onto the pole as the bus drove over a pothole. Her dupatta almost slipped off her head, but she adjusted it and held the edges with her free hand.

People were grumbling about being hungry, and about how much time was left for Iftari, while from the back she could hear the men discussing the Taraweeh prayers.

She felt hungry herself. After a long day at work, she couldn't wait to have the date that would mark the end of the fast for the day.

"Have you seen Zeba? She has started wearing the hijab again." A woman sitting nearby laughed.

"Only in Ramadan." The woman beside her laughed as well.

Sara rolled her eyes. This was almost a cliché dialogue faced by women who only practiced hijab during Ramadan. Some people just couldn't resist commenting on the deeds of other people.

Soon, the bus pulled up at her stop and she got off. Clutching tightly onto her tote bag, she quickly made her way down the street towards her home. She was trying not to think about food, but her mind kept conjuring up images of hot aloo (potato) samosas, and pakoray (fried fritters). 

She knocked on the grey gate of her home, and as she waited, she heard shouting from the house next door. 

"I've had it!" The homeowner, Mr Wajid was saying. "I will drop you off to the old age home this instant!"

"Beta, but what did I do?" The frail voice of Razia Begum, the elderly mother of Mr Wajid came from behind their gate.

"That's the problem! You didn't do anything! Shahista came home after such a long day and the you still have no plans to prepare the iftaar!" 

*Iftaar: the time of eating at sundown after fasting all day.

Sara's gate opened, and her mother looked at her, lips pursed. "Assalam Alaikum, Ammi." Sara nodded towards the house next door.

Her mother shook her head, telling her to remain silent. "Walaikum Assalam." She pulled Sara in and closed the door behind.

Simultaneously, the sound of the gate next door opening was hurt.

"Beta, where will I go?" The pleading voice of the elderly lady made Sara's heart hurt.

"Ammi, we have to help her!" Sara whispered to her mother.

"It's not our matter, Sara." Her mother said, before taking her further air into their open-air veranda. "Go freshen up and pray."

Sara headed up the stairs at the side of the house and turned to look over the wall and the gate, midway up the steps. Razia Begum stood huddled up, her hands clasped as silent sobs made her shoulders. From here, Sara could also see on the other side of the wall of the gate and the wall, where Mr Wajid was placating his wife. The wind seemed to be carrying their voices up here.