i

Meoria

"Cut!! Y'all are a beat behind

"Cut!! Y'all are a beat behind. It's, boom boom boom, pop step, slow turn then squat. Try it again." I said showing the dancers the moves again before they tried it on their own.

"There we go! Now we're gonna put it all together and then we're done." I said as I stood in front of the group.

I counted us in from the beginning, doing all the moves until we hit the end of the choreography I had made.

"Alright one more time with the music and then y'all can leave." I said as I used my apple watch to start the song we were dancing to.

Every night I rush to my bed
With hopes that maybe I'll get a chance
to see you when I close my eyes

I'm going out of my head
Lost in the fairytale
Can you hold my hand and be my guide

Clouds filled with stars cover your skies
And I hope it rains
You're the perfect lullaby
What kind of dream is this

You can be a sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare
Either way I don't wanna wake up from you
Its a sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare
Somebody pinch me
Your love's too good to be true

My guilty pleasure I ain't going nowhere
Baby long as you're here
I'll be floating on air

Once we finished that part of the choreography I cut the music and gave my students a round of applause.

"That's what I'm talking about! And y'all better be here on time Friday so we can finish this song.  Now go home!" I shouted jokingly making them laugh as they grabbed their things.

I went over to where my bag was and sat on the floor next to it as I took a sip of my water. I pulled my phone out, checking my notifications and instantly sighing once I saw the time.

I quickly grabbed my things and rushed out the door, trying to make it to the group home before curfew hit. Being a dance teacher in high school while also being in foster care was difficult but I managed.

Dancing was one thing that I would never give up, it kept me sane and thriving as I waited to age out of the system. Unfortunately I had to wait another two years before that was even possible.

Luckily I made it in on time and went straight up to my room. I threw my bag on my bed before putting my hair in a messy bun and finding clothes for after my shower.

Once I had everything together I made sure to lock up my phone and other electronics in my little lock box under my bed before leaving out to the bathroom.

This group home had a community type shower because if how big it was, like a college dorm but that meant I never had to wait for someone to come out so I could go in.

I went in and took a quick but thorough shower before rushing back to my room to get dressed. Luckily none of the other girls were in the room so I was able to get dressed at my own pace before heading down to the dining hall for dinner.

Tonight was pizza night so I just grabbed my couple of slices before heading back to the room to catch up on some homework.

I sat down on my bed, putting my plate in my lap before pulling my bookbag over to me and taking out my notebooks and binder. I worked and ate in silence before one of the house managers came knocking on the door.

"Hey how was practice?" My house manager Lanelle asked as she walked in.

"It was good, we finished one song and started another. By comp, they'll be flawless." I said before taking my last bite of my pizza.

"That's great kiddo. I gotta get going but I saved you a few extra pieces of pizza if you're still hungry. They're in my drawer in the fridge okay." She said making me smile.

"Thanks Nelly, I appreciate it." I said before bidding her goodbye. Once she was gone I continued to do my work until the other girls came in to start getting ready for bed.

"Oreooo, how was practice girly?" Samaria asked me as she plopped down on her bed which was right next to mine.

"Pretty good. They're getting better so practice isn't taking as long as it usually does." I said as I finished up my homework.

"Bout damn time. I swear this class should be special ed from what you be telling me." She said making me laugh.

"No for real. It definitely be giving basement classes some days. But I do need your help with something a little later." I said as I reached under my bed to grab my phone.

"Another video?" She asked making me nod.

"Yeah, just me this time though. I need something to post." I said as I stood up.

"Cool beans. Meet you in the rec room in thirty?" She asked making me nod.

"Yep, I'm go stretch a little. I'll be waiting so don't fall asleep Sandman." I said making her smack her lips.

"I fall asleep one damn time!" She groaned making me laugh on my way out to the rec room.

•••••

Meoria (me-or-ee-uh)