Chapter twenty-nine

"Am I the only one thinking about how this could turn into a 'Friday the 13th' situation?" Sarah asks playfully as the four of us sit around a small fire

"Am I the only one thinking about how this could turn into a 'Friday the 13th' situation?" Sarah asks playfully as the four of us sit around a small fire. Surrounded by darkness as the tall trees loom over us.

"Don't say that" Topper replies quietly, his eyes darting around the woods rapidly.

"Are you scared?" Rafe teases him, the both of us snickering as we watch Toppers scared expression worsen.

"No" he tells Rafe sheepishly, making Sarah purse her lips to stop herself from laughing at her boyfriend.

"Topper if you were gonna get murdered, it would most likely be Rafe doing it than anyone else" Sarah giggles, the grin of Rafe's face dropping at her words.

"Shut up" he snaps at her, throwing a marshmallow at her head.

"Asshole" she mutters, tossing it right back at him.

He rolls his eyes in response, slugging back some of his beer with an irritated expression on his face.

____________

We progressively get more and more intoxicated as the night goes on, the crackling fire the only source of light we have.

If I weren't so drunk right now I'd probably be freezing my ass off.

"Look at what I sent you" Sarah says to me, making me furrow my brows in confusion.

"Huh?"

She just nods her head down to my phone that's sitting on my lap.

This must've caught Rafe's attention because his gaze is now flickering between the two of us suspiciously.

I pick up my phone, seeing a text notification from Sarah.

I click on it, to see she had taken a picture of me and Rafe's asleep in Topper's car from earlier today.

I can't suppress the smile growing on my lips as I look at the photo.

"What is it?" Rafe asks curiously.

I pass him my phone, watching as his eyes move from me to the glowing screen, a drunken smile spreading across his face.

"You look pretty in this" he murmurs, passing the phone back to me.

"Thank you" I chuckle quietly, feelings a warm blush radiate over my cheeks at his compliment.

"I give it five minutes before they start arguing again" I hear Topper whisper to Sarah. I snap my head in his direction, shooting him a dirty look.

Bet that dumbass has jinxed it now.

_______________

"I'm gonna go to bed" I groan out tiredly, stretching my stiff legs out in front of me.