10

THE UNTOLD
— 10. Royal Wedding

    It was morning time and in the gardens at Westminster, Katherine smiled brightly as she walked with Cecily Neville

It was morning time and in the gardens at Westminster, Katherine smiled brightly as she walked with Cecily Neville. The woman was her aunt but they only had a few years between them. Cecily was, after all, one of her grandfather's youngest children. And he had quite a few.

"He's proposed to me," Katherine confessed, earning a smile from Cecily. The woman might have been married to Thomas' rival but she couldn't help but still feel happy for the younger girl, "He says we are to marry in a few weeks' time. He just has to tell his Uncle."

"Won't that be difficult without your father's blessing?" Cecily had asked and Katherine shook her head.

"My father knows better than to defy the king's brother," Katherine spoke softly and Cecily found herself staring at her closely.

She looked smitten, perhaps more than that. It was a surprise, given that the girl's entire life she rarely smiled. Now, it seemed as though she couldn't stop.

"How far has this gone between you two?" Cecily narrowed her eyes at the girl in concern.

Katherine smiled. She shook her head as a way to assure her aunt that they hadn't bedded one another yet. "He says that he is in love with me," She confessed in a hushed tone, not wanting others to hear, "He says that no matter the cost, we will marry. And if we do, I'd become the most powerful woman in England."

Cecily smiled at Katherine nervously. She'd marry Thomas, yes, but at what cost? She'd lose the support of her entire family. The Nevilles were for York now.

"My Ladies," A familiar voice spoke up and the two women turned to see Humphrey the Duke of Gloucester standing before them, "Apologies for interrupting your walk but I was wondering if I could have a word with you, Lady Katherine."

Katherine's smile immediately faded. She shared a look with Cecily before hesitantly nodding her head. "My Lord," She bowed her head and followed behind him.

He led her to the privy council room, just before gesturing for her to sit. Once she did, he sat across from her, a stern look on her face.

"What is it you wanted to speak about, my lord, if you don't mind me asking?" Katherine cautiously asked, not wanting to overstep.

If she made an enemy out of him, she could kiss marrying Thomas goodbye if Henry chose to listen to his uncle rather than his brother.

"My nephew has informed me that he has proposed a marriage between the two of you," He informed her in a calm tone and Katherine nodded in confirmation, "Your father refuses this marriage. Yet Thomas says he doesn't care. That causes a bit of issue, don't you think?"

"Yes, my lord," Katherine answered, tensing in her seat. The conversation was not going to end well, she knew that much.

"You cannot allow him to marry you," He encouraged, leaning closer to her, "You must tell him you cannot marry him."