seventeen

I watch as Luca clips his own helmet on. The entire drive here he was ecstatic to be going karting again.

I must say that I am looking forward to karting- experience the thing that Lewis has done practically his entire life.

I'm struggling to secure my helmet and Lewis must notice this as he walks up to me after doing his own.

"Let me." He says and I smile, although he probably can't see it.

I drop my hands and Lewis brings his hands up. He tilts my chin up a little to have better access as he tightens the clip.

"You excited?" I can tell he's smiling with the way his eyes scrunch up and gleam in the light.

"To crash? Yeah."

"You won't crash." He shakes his head laughing as we approach the karts. Lewis helps Luca into the kart and crouches down as he only briefly explains things as Luca has been karting a few times.

I watch Lewis pat his helmet quickly before he stands up and turns to me. He places a hand on the small of my back to guide me towards another kart.

"When did you start karting?" I ask genuinely curious.

"In 1993, when I was 8." He tells me as we approach a kart.

"Oh- I wasn't even born."

I see him wince "You're making me feel old."

"You are old." I joke but fay seriousness, in the corner of my eyes I see Lewis snap his head to me as he slaps a hand over his heart.

"You wound me." He shakes his head in sadness and I smile. I obviously don't mind the age gap.

He guides me through everything and explains the simple rules.

He brings the strap over my chest to tighten it and make sure it's secure Incase I do actually crash. I'm glad he can't see my face because I'm definitely blushing at this close proximity- especially with his hands tracing against my chest a little.

"You ready to lose?" He says coyly and I widen my eyes.

"Who said this was a competition?" I ask with a grin starting to form on my face at his competition.

"I did, baby."

With that he squeezes my shoulder briefly and stands up to get into his own kart.

Luckily the place is pretty empty- probably because it's still pretty early. I hope we are done here before the afternoon rush that will inevitably come.

Luca moves first and Lewis follows soon after him. Realising I should probably move I attempt to accelerate- which I do but it sends a sudden jolt through my body.

They seem to have a set path that they follow which I have no idea what it is but I'll just follow them.

Lewis must have taught him the right path- there's no other way he could've known.

We do a few laps and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I have to admit it is very fun, I could probably do this for hours.

Although somehow Lewis has found a way to lap me. "Going a bit slow?" He teases me and I roll my eyes without turning to him- scared if I look away I'll crash.

"Yeah- I think this kart is faulty." I say very seriously and I can just hear Lewis laugh which makes me glance at him to find him already looking at me while still driving flawlessly.

When I do glance back ahead I notice two karts in the wall, one of them being the kart number Luca was driving with.

Worry immediately washes over me. Even though the little crash can't possibly be bad with the speed of these karts I still get a sinking feeling in my stomach.