Chapter 9 Potion Of Heightened Senses

Connor got down on his hands and knees with his codex open on the floor beside him as he drew the complicated diagram with chalk on the smooth floor of the workshop.

It was only now that he noticed just how perfect the floor was for drawing such a diagram, though it was still awkward to draw on the floor. Especially as the diagram was large, complex, and needed to be exact.

It had to be at least large enough for him to stand in while focusing his energy, but he made it even bigger than he thought he would need.

Just to be on the safe side.

His muscles soon ached from the awkward position as he drew the different shapes and symbols as perfectly as he could.

He was meticulous, correcting even the tiniest mistake as Victor watched, and gave an approving nod.

"Remember, you're using this to help you direct your energy, so if you don't do it right it won't be as good. With other circles, it could cause some truly disturbing results. Make sure to be utterly flawless in everything you do with alchemy," Victor said.

Connor finally completed the circle, complete with the script that went around it. He let out a heavy sigh and stretched his aching muscles, being careful not to scuff the chalk.

"Good work. Next, you'll want to bring over a workbench so you can start on a basic potion," Victor said.

Connor stepped out of the circle, his body still a bit unsteady and stiff as he dragged a workbench over. It glided over the floor impossibly smoothly, yet didn't budge an inch unless it was purposeful moved. No wheels could be so perfect.

Victor must have had these workbenches specially made too. Where did he get the money for so many enchanted items?

"You know you could have brought it for me, so I didn't risk messing up my circle," Connor said as he adjusted the bench into position near his circle, without brushing against the lines.

"I could've, but I won't always be here when you work. You need to get used to being careful and fixing your circle if need be," Victor said.

"Couldn't we make a permanent circle, so we wouldn't have to worry about that?" Connor asked.

Victor smiled like he was proud that Connor had asked.

"Yes, and I've used some before, but they take up space and especially for such a basic one like this... it would be a waste. It won't be long before you won't need this circle anyway. Besides... you need the practice," Victor said.

Next, Victor had Connor page through the beginning of his codex until he found a potion that he thought would be a good starting point for Connor.

Once again, Victor stopped Connor on one of the pages. "You'll do this one," he said.

Connor read what his codex had to say about the potion.

The Potion of Heightened Senses.

Difficulty: Novice.

This potion heightens the imbiber's senses: Sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste are all greatly enhanced.

The amount they are increased by varies depending on the ingredients used, the skill of the alchemist, and the subject's baseline.

It didn't sound nearly as exciting as the strength potion Victor had given him, but at least it was something.

The rest of the entry contained detailed instructions on creating the potion as well as some notes. Most of which, were about changes to the preparation, using different ingredients, and some of his father's musings about possible ways he thought it might be further developed.