Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

A few days later

Crossing into Kentucky was a challenge. It wasn't due to the locals or invaders, but because of the weather. A huge storm had rolled in causing downpours with heavy hail. Cam could have sworn she had even seen a twister in the distance and alerted Jonah of this. The two had dealt with rain on their travels before, but this storm was different. They needed to find shelter and wait out the storm. Frantically searching, Jonah and Camilla made their way through the thick forest, stumbling over downed branches as they went. They finally came upon a building, and without hesitation, the two entered. Jonah and Camilla removed their backpacks and the first layer of their clothes ringing them out. They needed to dry off and wait for the storm to pass before heading deeper into the state.
"Are we still going to look for Tara's people?" Camila asked as she removed her boots and socks. Jonah did not answer right away. To be honest he did know how to reply to her question. The whole reason the two made it this far was to find Tara's folks, and she was dead. If they showed up without her, no doubt they would have suspended the two.
"I think we should find a place of our own. Showing up without Tara just doesn't seem right." Camilla nodded in agreement. Before the world ended the two would have no issues with going to them to let the family know of the passing of Tara, but now there was no predicting what they might due. Humanity had lost itself due to the bombing. No one could be fully trusted.The two of them knew this all too well. Both have gone through heartaches and troubles along the way.
"If we are not going to her family's place, then where do you suggest?" Camilla asked.
"Honestly, I have no clue." Jonah placed his boots upside down and tossed his socks aside.
"Look, it is late and we are both soaked and tired. Let's get a bite to eat and sleep on it, ok?" Jonah asked with a sleepy smile. Camilla agreed and reached out for her wet backpack.
"Meatballs or ravioli?" she asked him.
"Meatball." Jonah replied.

The next day the two were awoken by the door of the building they were in swinging open. A group of men dressed in priest-like garb. they wore Long black flowing robes with a signature white collar around them. On their face were different types of masks. Gas masks, skull masks, and other various types. The group entered holding various types of guns as well, these were no priests Jonah had seen before. Jonah sat up in his half-asleep stupor to see them enter around them. He reached for Camila who was just now stirring awake. Camila saw the men and almost let out a scream. The two held their hands up, praying not to get shot.
"Please don't shoot." Jonah could barely make out how many people were in the room due to the poor lighting and his eyesight was still blurry. It had gotten better since Houston, but it was still blurred.
"Who are you?" One male stepped forward aiming his gun at them.
"I am Jonah and this is Camilla." Jonah replied.
"Why are you on Father's land?" The man asked again.
"We didn't mean to be. The storm was so bad last night.......we sought shelter in here." Jonah continued. Camilla was on the verge of tears as she looked around her. One of the gun-toting men noticed the bible on her lap. He then walked to the one guy in front of Jonh, leaned in, and whispered something. The frontman then looked at Camill's lap and nodded.
"You are believers?" He asked. Jonah didn't quite know what the man was talking about. The man picked up on it and pointed to the bible.
"Yes, I was studying to be a preacher before the blast." John watched the man lean in again to whisper.
"Gather your things. The Father will want to see you." The men lowered their guns and waited for Jonah and Camilla to pack their things. The men watched on and made sure the two didn't have any weapons before escorting them out of the building.
"The compound is a few miles away." the main male bellows. The men surrounded Jonah and Camilla as they led them toward the place where this father was. Camilla and Jonah were both frightened. They had no idea who these people were or what they would do. Were they like the cannibals, leading them to be eaten? Or were they going to enslave them, or worse beat and rape them? The thoughts consumed the both of them as they walked forward. Jonah reached over and took Camilla's hand in his.
"Fear not, for the lord is with us." He whispered to her. Camila squeezed his hand, holding it tight as they walked forward into the unknown.