Can You Mend The Broken? -- Prologue

Can you mend the broken?

The thought echoed in Claire's mind as the sound of clothes fluttered weakly in the breeze and the sound of a canvas bag smacked against her back, and her shoes hit the ground almost in time with the sound of Savior's paws hitting the cramped forest grown. How long had they been walking, exactly? It really didn't matter to the canine. It really didn't matter to the 14 year-old either. It had been so long since she had last seen the group of people her and her father tagged along with, but Claire had been separated from them during an onslaught of Walkers. And she lost them in the worry and panic.

She'd find them. Eventually. The sight of the sun setting over the dusky post-apocalyptic jungle didn't necessarily help her nerves either. Claire'd never been the one to set out when it got dark. She hated the dark. And the sound of a stick breaking behind her made her and Savior pause in their steps, watching the canine's ears flatten against his head and glance around, making Claire glance around as well. Had she found them? It was a useless thought. Claire pushed it to the back of her mind. Her fingers nervously curled up into the palms of her battered and bruised hands, a small nervous habit she'd happen to pick up from her father. The tall, rugged former-Sergeant Abraham Ford. Was his name Abraham? That's just what the others called him. Whatever. Her fingers uncurled and she whistled a small familiar-sounding tune to get Savior's attention, and she nudged him slightly with her busted-up boot to keep on going.

She continued following the robot-legged German Shepherd, still glancing around the forest with a tinge of nervousness. Why DID a stick snap a few moments earlier? She could just think about it later when she got to a safe spot, outside of the forest. The forest was.. rather ravishing, for being in a world where society had fallen and walkers had came back from the grave to attack the living.

It'd be fine. She could mend the broken, if she could try hard enough. Not the walkers - but the mentally broken, in a way. Despite the fact she was "mentally broken" herself, that's what Negan had called her. Claire didn't care for Negan's useless rhymes and riddles, it'd all get her mixed up and confused anyways. That was a thought for another day.

PROLOUGE END.