Chapter 4

This body of work is available exclusively on Patreon and Wattpad. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Hades

Squawking. I should be used to it by now, but today, it cuts through my dream, the pair of green eyes and red hair disappearing like a mirage. Always just out of reach.

I slowly open my eyes, the cause for the rude awakening perched on the window frame. If it weren't for the goddamn heat, I wouldn't need to keep the window open. Avoiding this rude interruption. However, knowing Red over there, he would find another way to annoy me. Maybe peck at the window until I get up. Like that hasn't happened before. Or toss stones at the window until it breaks—my favorite.

"What do you want? It's too early for this shit." As if calling me out on my bullshit, my phone alarm goes off, earning me another round of squawking.

"Fine. I'm getting up." I throw the covers off and then sit up, swinging my legs off the side of the bed. Taking a moment to wake up fully, I stare at the scarlet raven whose constant presence in my life over the last year has resulted in me even giving the damn thing a name. Red.

Its coloring and the fact that I think it is linked to the dreams of the woman sporting the exact same hair color is the only reason I haven't murdered it yet. It's no coincidence that they both came into my life simultaneously. I just don't know what it means yet.

Red jumps up and down, this behavior strange. Stranger, I correct myself. As if this whole situation on its own isn't bizarre already. Fucking King of Wolves, superstitious about killing one bird. I shake my head and then get up, followed closely by Red who joins me in the bathroom, squawking away while I finish my bathroom routine.

"You are super chatty today," I mumble, side-eyeing the bird grooming itself on the bathroom counter.

But even as I ponder this strange behavior, I cannot shake the feeling of something brewing. It is like a sixth sense telling me something is coming—something big, something life-altering.

It stays with me as I get dressed and even as I walk down the passage to the large open-plan kitchen. This place was too big for just me, yet I couldn't leave. Memories of Drea and me sat in every object and lingered in every space, torturing me and holding me hostage.

I avoid looking at the picture of her and I hung above the fireplace. A sore reminder of what I had lost. My fated mate. Gifted to me by the moon goddess. Each wolf only ever got one, and then for her to be ripped away from me. Taken from me in the worst way. Murdered before my eyes.

Two years on, and I don't know how I made it through. Probably only the strong sense of responsibility toward my people and the threat that had loomed back then after her death. The danger that had caused her death in the first place. Vampires. Always trying to become the dominant species. It was a constant battle.

Part of me was grateful. I would never again experience the pain I felt when I lost Drea. And while I could choose a new mate, it would never be the same—it would never be her. No one could compare to the person who is meant to be with you. So here I was, floating around in this lieu de mémoire, surviving day to day on lost memories and a stolen future.

Red squawks, breaking me from my introspection. Knowing what the bird wants, I open the fridge and grab a handful of blueberries, which I put on the marble countertop. I don't even eat blueberries, yet every time I go to the shop, a punnet comes home. They will be devoured in seconds—as long as it takes me to grab my keys, walk to the front door, and unlatch it.