Chapter Twenty - I Am Banished (For A Bit)

Posted: Sunday 7th April 2024

Whilst the Greek Demigods didn't know what the marks on Jason's arm were in the same way I did, they all recognised the Latin and something about it must have made them uncomfortable.

"I've never seen marks like this," Annabeth said, studying the tattoo. "Where did you get them?"

Jason shook his head, "I'm getting really tired of saying this, but I don't know."

"They look burned into your skin," Annabeth remarked.

"They were," said Jason, he shuddered slightly and then rubbed his temple, as if he was developing a headache. "I mean I think they were, I don't remember."

"He needs to go straight to Chiron," Annabeth looked at me for confirmation.

I looked at the group, "back to whatever you were doing before guys," I told them, then I turned to Jason as the group dispersed. Annabeth took Piper off on a tour of the camo whilst I analysed Jason.

Unlike Leo, he did not squirm under my gaze, in fact I got the impression that this boy had faced down worse than me before.

"Are you a demigod?" Jason asked me.

"Yes," I confirmed, still staring at him, trying to work out exactly what he was doing at Camp and how he had ended up here.

"Who's your parent?" He asked, his eyes meeting mine with no fear or apprehension.

"Nyx, primordial goddess of night," I replied, "I think we should get you to the Big House. Chiron will want to speak to you."

*

When Chiron saw Jason, his face fell, "you should be dead," he said with shock written all across his face. The centaur and I exchanged looks, both of us understanding in that moment exactly how dire the situation must be for a Roman Demigod to end up here.

"Jason, go and wait inside," I said, "I need to check on some of the activity schedules with Chiron quickly before you two talk."

"What?" Jason asked, looking between Chiron and me, "what do you mean I should be dead?"

"Chiron will speak to you in a bit, go wait inside," I urged. Jason did not look willing, but he went inside.

I drew close to Chiron, not wanting us to be overheard.

"Is he from where I think he's from?" I asked.

Chiron's expression was grave, "yes, that boy is a Roman demigod."

"A son of Jupiter," I told him, "a Roman Demigod child of the big three, here at Camp Halfblood."

"Yes," Chiron agreed, "his very presence here is breaking ancient laws, it shouldn't be possible."

"Is this related to the great stirring Apollo mentioned?" I asked.

"What great stirring?" Chiron asked.

I frowned, "you don't know? That's why Olympus is shut off, the gods are scared of something, what is it?"

Chiron's worry lines deepened on his face, "I wouldn't dare to speculate."

"I want to go to the Roman Camp," I said, "what if Percy is there? Primordials are beyond boundaries of the mythology the Olympians are subject to, there is only one darkness, Nyx, Nox, they're the same thing. I have to check."

Chiron nodded gravely, "indeed. I fear that the prophecy Rachel spoke is coming to fruition sooner than we had hoped. If the gods are afraid, I think we all should be."