Chapter Eight

-Zipporah-

Its been a few weeks since my run in with Cole, and my 'date' with Henry. I've had a few calls from Cole, but I've not returned any one. I don't know what he wants nor what to say.

In the last year of med school, the students are deployed to rural areas to mark the beginning of their practice.

These students are trained for five years, yeah.

I'm currently on my way with Joke, to process our posting. This is the beginning of my dream. The reason I'm studying medicine and surgery, is to be able to render affordable services to the rural population.

Arriving at the school's senate building, we're directed to the student's affairs office to fill the forms.

"Are you done?" Joke asks me, after submitting her already filled form to the officer.

"Yeah."

"Excuse me sir? When should we return for our posting?" I ask the officer.

"Since you've both filled your forms, by tomorrow you can check your portals for the posting."

"Oh. I didn't know we could access our posting conveniently." I say and he nods.

"That's good. Thank you sir." Joke continues.

"Yes. Thank you sir. Bye" he smiles while we exit the office.

Walking back to my room with Joke in tow, we pause at the door, and unlock it.

"Ahh God" Joke plops dramatically on my bed, "I'm so tireddd."

"Me too."

"I can't believe we're leaving this school soon." She smiles at me.

"Likeeee, I'm excited. Even more excited about my posting. I pray we're posted to safe places."

"Amen. What states did you include in your form?" She asks.

"I wrote Kogi, Kaduna, Zaria, and Lagos."

"You didn't include Abuja? Why?"

"I really want to help people. Who would I be helping in Abuja? And I just included Lagos for formalities sake" I answer.

"True."

"What states did you write?" I return the question.

"Yobe, Lafia, Abuja and Kwara." She answers.

"Have you bee- " I'm cut off by the ringing of my phone.

I grab my phone and check the caller.

Cole

I'm immediately nervous. I panic so I just watch it ring.

"Who is it? Why didn't you answer it?"

"Lemme see." She yanks he phone out of my hand.

"Who is Cole?" she asks. I sigh, deciding to answer.

"Its one guy. I've run into him a few times." I say vaguely.

"He's calling." She hands me the phone, but I just stare at it.

"Answer naw." I slowly answer the call and place the phone on my ear.

"Hello?"

"Zipporah? I didn't know you'd answer. I haven't heard from you in a while, not from my lack of trying. How are you?" He asks.

"I'm okay. I wasn't able to answer your calls. Sorry for not returning them, I've just really been busy." I say.

"Its fine. Are you busy tonight?" Since I've written all my exams and visited the student's affair office, I'm technically not busy. But I hesitate.