Chapter 20

Friday came and went by so quickly. Makenna along with everyone else was having a hard time believing that it was April already. The month may have just started but the week was finally over and everyone was already in a party mood. So was Vanessa. Makenna just wanted to head to the gym and head back to her dorm. But she'd said yes because not only was it the first time Vanessa had asked to accompany her to a party, but also because Makenna knew she needed a distraction from everything and a break from studying. It was a win-win for her.

"I'll meet you there at 7-ish?" Vanessa said as they exited their department,

"Sure," Vanessa nodded with a smile and went on her way.

Makenna headed towards the gym because she had a date with Thea. AirPods on, she arrived at the gym, changed and started to warm up before Thea showed up. She was getting warmed up when Brandon interrupted her in need of a sparring partner. She didn't tell him, but she had a harder time taking him down. She welcomed the challenge that he would be to her in the coming days.

Thea showed up and time got away from her. By the time she realized, she knew she would have to rush to her dorm to freshen up.

"Do you have a date?" Thea asked as she packed up,

"With Vanessa, I do."

"Oh, fun." Thea's expression was one of relief and Makenna wondered why, "Where?"

"Somewhere seaside,"

"Hmm," Thea smiled to herself, "Be sure to have lots of fun,"

Makenna smiled and left in a hurry. She didn't want to make Vanessa wait. She threw on a black puffer jacket over her sweater. Paired with dark jeans and black boots. The temperature was a lot better, but she figured she needed some extra padding since it was seaside. She kept some cash in her pocket and grabbed her phone before she left.

It was still weird not seeing Hee in the room anymore. She knew Hee came and went when she wasn't there. But there was nothing she could do. They'd both said things that the other didn't like. Makenna had been honest and she wasn't going to let whatever Hee said get to her. Her experiences made her who she was and she wasn't going to be sorry for it.

It took a little over twenty minutes for Makenna to get to the location Vanessa had sent. During the ride, she'd texted Vanessa who wanted to know where she was. Makenna finally arrived at the address and Vanessa was standing outside in the drive. She paid for her ride and got out of the car.

"You're late," Vanessa said as she headed towards her not looking bothered at all about her being late,

"No, you said 7-ish. It is 7-ish."

Vanessa shook her head with a smile,
"Let's go, everyone's waiting."

Makenna didn't make an attempt to move from her spot as she looked at the house in front of her. The sea glistened on her right as the sunset.

"Everyone?" Makenna asked, "Is it like a book club or something?"

"Or something," Vanessa grabbed her by the hand when she didn't move, "C'mon already,"

"Where's the music?" Makenna asked, "It's dead quiet,"

Makenna followed Vanessa into the house and fell in love with the view instantly. The short hallway opened up into a large modern living space with glass doors on the right that had an impeccable view of the sea. Vanessa headed towards the doors but then turned right again. Makenna followed her and a Nordic style kitchen came into view. Her gaze shifted to the other people that stood there with Vanessa and she immediately stopped in her tracks.

Atlas' back had been turned away from the living space with Will standing across the kitchen island. Vanessa joined them and he turned when he heard footsteps behind him. He knew who it was before he saw her. Her gaze met his just as he turned around and she froze, as did he.

Inhaling deeply and inaudibly, they held each other's gaze and everything else around them faded. Atlas did everything in his power to stay exactly where he was. He dug his feet into the ground and clenched his hands to stop himself from doing what he wanted to do. She would throw a punch in his face if he dared to do any of them. Makenna couldn't explain the feeling that overcame her. She had the strongest urge to go to him and hug him until the feeling went away.

"Hey Mac,"

Without blinking, Makenna's gaze shifted to Will behind the kitchen island.

"Hi Will," She sounded breathless and quickly looked at Vanessa, "Did we get the time wrong?"

"No, you didn't," Will answered, "Everyone is here and we should get going,"

Makenna frowned as Will walked past her towards the porch. Vanessa headed towards her smiling,

"It's Will's birthday and he wanted to keep it small,"

"I don't get why I'm here,"

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw Atlas leave the kitchen and join Will out on the porch.

"There's nothing to get. It's a party and we're here to have fun." Vanessa walked past her, "Let's go."

Makenna closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she turned around and went to join them outside. Will and Atlas were already headed towards the waterside where a boat was docked.

"Did you know we were going out on a boat?" Makenna asked when Vanessa fell in beside her,

"Not until I got here,"

"Did you know he was going to be here?"

"Who?" Surprisingly, Vanessa's expression betrayed nothing,

"Don't play coy with me,"

That's when Vanessa smiled,
"I knew you wouldn't come if I'd told you,"

"Fair point. But I would've appreciated knowing what I was getting myself into,"

"Well, now you know," Vanessa's gaze lingered on her,

Makenna shook her head,
"It all makes sense."

"What?"

"Why you were finding it hard to ask me to come with you,"

Vanessa's expression slowly morphed into one of humor and guilt.
"And you're not running out the door."

Makenna's gaze shifted to Atlas who had stopped at the end of the dock. He was engaged in a conversation with Will,
"For some reason, I can't bring myself to leave,"

Vanessa followed Makenna's line of sight and smiled,
"This is going to be fun."

It sure is.
Makenna thought.