Chapter 12: Luxury Pavilion

The day after the welcoming ceremony, before sunrise, Luo Xue could be seen starting her morning training.

Balancing atop of a bamboo pole, Luo Xue exhaled, taking a moment to rest before she jumped, leaping from one pole to the next. As she glided through the air, the rush of wind filled her ears, and she manoeuvred past the looming poles hurtling towards her.

Within this specially constructed training ground, she had to skilfully navigate through a dense bamboo forest filled with traps, relying on her own judgement to evade any contact. By doing this training, she could develop not just her reflexes but also her wit.

Hours later, Luo Xue could feel her body getting heavier as it was reaching its limit. Given that she had already achieved her objective for today, it was a good time to stop. Intending to shut down the training ground, she dashed towards the switch, but had forgotten that there was still a hidden mechanism nearby, triggering a trap which fired a barrage of arrows at her.

While the arrows were not deadly, they would still inflict pain. Luo Xue quickly summoned her mental force to divert them away.

After they were gone, Luo Xue landed on the ground, panting, with sweat dripping down her neck. Although she made significant progress during her training, there were still areas she needed to improve on. For example, her footwork.

When she emerged from the training ground, her ribbon, previously sprawled on the stone, flew towards her and handed over the dark green sword. As she returned the sword to her waist, her ribbon spun around her before it begrudgingly settled itself on her shoulders.

Luo Xue noticed her ribbon's subtle movements and curled her lips. She softly flicked it with her finger, causing it to tremble as if it was upset.

As Luo Xue made her way back to her house, she suddenly caught sight of a few people kneeling outside it. With narrowed eyes, she observed them for a moment until they suddenly turned around. She drew her sword to confront them, but they remained unfazed and continued advancing towards her.

Once they stood in front of her, they hastily dropped to their knees, grovelling.

"Elder Xue, good morning. We are here to serve you." Their voices were in unison.

Taken aback, Luo Xue frowned. "What are you talking about?"

They exchanged glances. One of the older-looking women quickly explained, "Upon hearing that Elder Xue has assumed the role of a peak master, we, as loyal servants, decided to return here to serve you."

Yet before they could get their hopes up, Luo Xue refused.

"No. I can manage without you all. Leave."

However, they wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Please, Elder Xue. Give us a chance to serve you!"

"Please! We have families to feed. Don't be so cruel to us."

"Elder Xue, please..."

If they continue to remain at another peak master's place, they would always be considered as one of the many servants working there. It would be impossible for them to distinguish themselves and be granted better privileges.

Although they appeared sincere when they were pleading, Luo Xue had long seen through the greed in their eyes. They were as insincere and disloyal as they were many years ago.

Luo Xue pointed her sword at them, her gaze piercingly cold. "I do not like to repeat myself. Leave now before I take matters into my own hands."

Right away, they could feel an immense pressure pressing on them, but they were extremely reluctant to give up. This was their only opportunity to improve their lives!