Chapter: 54

ELENA

Almost half an hour was spent and I was still reading the same page. Distractions came in forms. Like at the moment I was completely preoccupied by this huge distraction that walked into the room in the form of my husband. It should be illegal to look this attractive in just sweats.

I was too sore from last night to entertain thoughts about this gorgeous man. I forced my eyes back to my book, determined to finish the confrontation part within the next five minutes.

Well that was until he sat down right in front of me, scrolling through his phone.

Damn it! He smells nice!

"Glad you think so." I could feel the pure male satisfaction oozing out of him. I clenched my eyes shut, completely horrified.

"Of course. I said that aloud." A deep resounding chuckle rumbled from his chest. I playfully rolled my eyes and went back to my book. I wasn't completing it anytime soon. His constant stare was making it even harder.

"What?" I snapped my book shut, finally giving up on the act.

He lifted his shoulder in a nonchalant shrug. "Did I say anything?"

"You're staring."

"You look beautiful." He didn't miss a beat but my heart skipped one. I raised a brow all the while staring dumbly at him. I was in my comfiest pair of PJ's and my hair pulled up in a tight bun. I could pass for a koala at best.

"What? I thought we were stating the obvious." His hand flew out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. Was he trying to beguile me into confessing some embarrassing shit I might have done as a teenager? I could tell it was working.

I blinked out of the little trance and most ungracefully snorted.

"I look good in this?" I pointed out at myself. "Oversized tee and glasses up my nose?" Following the motion of my fingers his eyes swept over me in an assessing gaze. When he looked up, there was something fervent in his stare. I felt a shiver run up my spine.

"Good is not a word enough for you, Elena. I said 'beautiful'. And to answer your question, you look beautiful in everything."

There's this weird feeling that exploded in my chest. Heat creeped up my neck and spread to my cheeks. I was still holding his stare and was failing to look away. I wasn't trying too hard either. This moment... it felt perfect. Was I going to ruin it with my next sentence?

"I won't be able to tell if you're lying. You would look so nice doing that." My apprehension was put to rest when his mouth lifted in a small smile.

"I won't lie to you, baby."

Stop! That's it.

In one swift move I closed the distance between us and kissed him. Rylan took less than a second to reciprocate. He pulled me to his lap deepening the kiss that I had initiated.

Rylan Parker was addictive.

The maddening kind of addiction.

Before we could move any further, there was a knock at the door making us break apart. Moments later Ava poked her head in.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" I asked, noticing that she looked sad.

"I can't sleep. Can I sleep with you and Daddy?" She pushed the door open a bit more but stood there. She was hugging a pillow to her chest. Poor baby!

"Of course you can sleep with us." Rylan held out a hand for her. "Come here."

I scooted to the left making space for her in between us.

"Do you want Daddy to tell you a story?" Rylan asked once she was settled between us.

"No, Daddy. Your stories are boring." She made a face before completely facing me. "Mommy?"

I chuckled at how offended Rylan looked. "You little traitor!" He playfully glared at her who hid her face in my chest and giggled.

"Okay, I'll tell you a story, but close your eyes first." She did. I pulled the cover up and proceeded with the story till the sound of soft snores filled the air.

Looking up, I found Rylan's eyes fixed on me. By the even breathing and absolutely no movement from him. I had guessed that he had dozed off. No, the creeper was staring!

My creeper.

He smiled lazily. "You're perfect."

My heart just swelled by a few inches. The ease with which he said these things was commendable.

I smiled back. "So are you."

RYLAN

Ava ran, full speed before i caught her and picked her up. "You were amazing on the stage, sweetheart!" I said, kissing her cheek.

"Really?" She squealed

"Why of course! I clapped the loudest for you." She grinned at Elena looking absolutely adorable with the butterfly wings still attached to her back.

Once I put her down, she waddled back to Lili. "Lili, did you watch me dance?"

"I did, sweetie and let me tell you" Lili tapped her button nose. "your performance was the best out there."

Ava's cheeks had turned the lightest shade of pink. "Thank you!"

As if suddenly remembering something, she turned towards Elena. "Mommy, you promised that we will go to play with the dogs tomorrow." Her little head again flicked back to Lili, she tugged at her hand. "Come with us. You'll love them."

"I'm sure they are lovely but I'm leaving tomorrow sweetheart." Lili crouched down in front of her. "But, I must say, I had the best time of my life getting to know you." Her smile wasn't met with one of Ava's.

"Why are you leaving?" She gloomily asked. Elena cast me a worried glance.

"I'm going home sweetheart. Just like your vacations end, mine did now."

Lili was trying to keep her tears in check. My daughter however had no such intention. A few fat drops of water trickled its way down, "Do you really have to go?"

She pulled Ava into a hug. "Don't cry, sweetie."

"I love you." Ava mumbled and that's all it took to snap her control. Lili shut her eyes, allowing herself only a silent cry.

"I love you too, more than you'll know." I glanced away and exhaled. I wondered what Mr. Scott would've felt if he had been here to witness how he had single-handedly ruined his daughter's life. Would he have remorse, unbearable guilt or his ego wouldn't have let him believe anything other than that he had done what was correct?

Next Elena pulled her in a tight embrace. "Take care, Liliana." She nodded, smiling before making her way to me. Very carefully she wrapped her arms around me, causing me to still for a second. I snapped out of my trance and every negative emotion concerning her and returned the hug, probably the last one.

"Give me a call if you need anything." I meant it. I fully intended to make sure that she was taken care of for the rest of her days. That much hardship was more than enough for someone. She sniffled and nodded before looking back at Ava for one last time.

"Good bye, Ava."

"Good bye."