Chapter 5 You Can Choose to Look Away

"The doctor is in the house!"

 Fort, announces, warmly.

"Wow, you think he owned the property?"

Nicey, thinks bitterly to herself.

Then reprimands herself.

Such a spiteful conclusion to come to.

"Just let him be happy, at least he is in a good mood."

She reasons in her mind.

To be fair, Doctor Fearsome was his contact.

One of the few people who could ever talk him down from self- defeating or impulsive decisions.

He respected him.

His title, his status, his thoughtful demeanor.

Fearsome was Fort's offering to Reston, 'for his health,' much like the trips to Reston's cottage was his offering to Nicey, for 'putting up with him.'

Spiritual well-being for one.

An idyllic stay-cation for the other.

Two extra days work for another.

A boy's weekend that never was for the next.

One man's plot for a connection of some sort for the last.

From what Doctor Fearsome could read from this group, he could tell they were a collection of existentially lonely people.

Most of the world was.

Sad and pathetic.

Unrealized.

It was his earthly job to guide them towards conclusions, not answers per say...

His goal was to present his clients with clarity above anything else, they all knew what to do, unconsciously.

Test them, encourage them to have the fortitude to delve into the sequences that lead them to the path they had chosen.

Life was a set of sequences, it was up to the sequencer to decipher which patterns were cons or pros.

Build or deconstruct from there.

Sitting around the table, the Doctor notices Viviali's fingers interlocked around a can of brew.

He decides against bringing up the alcohol free nature of this weekend...for now.

"So. Do we have everything we need to for our deep meditation exercise this afternoon?"

Reston grinned at the doctor.

"Yeah, I gave Barin the list you sent."

Pleased with himself, he stands arms akimbo, legs apart with sandal-ed  feet  firmly planted on the earth.

"Perfect! You wouldn't happen to have a drum do'yah? I forgot mine."

Shaking his head Reston suggests,

"Shit no, Fort might have one."

As it would turn out Fort did not have a drum.

It was fine.

Fort would escort the good doctor outside of the property on a quest to find a drum.