Chapter 3

Dear Readers, thanks for the amazing response on the first two chapters, I decided to treat you with another chapter.

In general, I will publish every Thursday.

Enjoy reading!

Xoxo

*****

As Adam expertly maneuvered the car into a parking spot outside the school, I leaped out and hurried towards the closed gates.

"Damn it!" I muttered, feeling the panic rising within me. Behind me, I could hear the heavy footsteps of Adam, my trusty partner in crime.

Whipping around, I blurted out, "Do you remember the security code? We need it to open the door lock; damn, I can't remember it right now!" My palm met my forehead in frustration as I paced back and forth.

This day was shaping up to be an absolute disaster. If Mom caught wind of me being here, it would be like planning my own funeral.

"Yeah, Yeah! I remember, hold on a sec," Adam reassured me.

Dropping our bags to the ground, he fished out his phone from his pocket. With practiced efficiency, he punched in the numbers on the door lock and nodded in satisfaction as it clicked open, granting us access inside.

"Phew!" I let out a sigh of relief as we stepped through the door.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going? Wait up! Anna?"

Adam's voice echoed behind me, but I didn't slow down. I sprinted towards the corridor, my sense of urgency growing with every step.

I couldn't afford to waste any more time.

As I raced along, I noticed groups of students congregating in the courtyard, some lingering near the lunchroom, and a few girls chatting near the corridor. Their curious stares followed me as I dashed past them, and I caught fragments of my name being called out by a couple of boys. Ignoring their calls, I focused on reaching my destination.

Adam was like a walking disaster waiting to happen.

Brushing past the girls, I finally reached the relative quiet of the reception area. Taking a moment to catch my breath, I mentally prepared myself for what lay ahead. My first task? Mentally shaking some sense into the receptionist. Instead of contacting me or Adam, she had jumped the gun and called my mom.

Talk about unnecessary drama!

Sometimes, you just have to roll your eyes at your own subconsciousness.

I dropped my bag to the side and ran a hand through my hair, trying to calm my racing thoughts.

This wasn't drama; it was a legitimate concern. When Mom had called out of the blue this morning, it had sent me into a panic. I was terrified we'd end up in an accident. Given Mom's penchant for stirring up trouble, I couldn't shake the feeling that everything she'd accused me of over the past three years, which was finally starting to fade, might take another sharp turn today. And that could spell disaster not just for me, but for Adam, my dear to-be-boyfriend, as well.

As the school bell rang, signaling the end of another class period, I stood waiting on the sidelines, watching students pour out of every room. Mom's earlier words echoed in my mind, and I gritted my teeth in frustration. My overreaction to her proximity to the school had likely stirred up unnecessary trouble. For the first time in years, I had actually enjoyed spending time with Adam. I allowed myself to feel a flicker of happiness, only to be reminded once again that such moments of joy were fleeting in my life, overshadowed by my mother's interference.

"Hey, Anna!" A friendly voice broke through my thoughts, pulling me back to the present. I forced a smile at the blonde girl, a classmate, standing before me, then turned and made my way toward the reception area.

With a quick glance inside to ensure the coast was clear, I slipped through the door and closed it quietly behind me, heading straight for the receptionist's desk.

My heart raced as I rifled through files and registers, my hands trembling with nerves until I finally found my attendance register.

Now, mark yourself present and let's get out of here!

As I flipped through the pages, the door behind me creaked open, and I froze. Caught in the act, I felt as though the ground beneath me might give way at any moment.

My muscles tensed as a familiar voice sounded behind me.

****

How was the chapter? Let me know in comments. Xoxo