Chapter 12

Seven Months Later...

Persephone got out of her rented car and to the very calm house they'd found in the middle of nowhere. She grabbed the groceries out of the car and unlocked the door. "I'm home," she called out quietly and walked into the kitchen to see Rebekah at the table with little baby Hope in the large sink taking her bath.

"Did you get-"

"The cream, yes I did. And I got you that kettle corn you like."

"Thank you."

"How's little Hope today?" Persephone asked as she unpacked the groceries. They'd just moved in a couple weeks ago. Rebekah called persephone to protect Hope with magic then she just stayed around. They'd moved to a place close to Whitmore campus that Persephone cloaked with magic. As long as Rebekah and Hope stayed in the home, they'd never be discovered.

She'd started taking anthropology classes. She even had a weekly dinner with Bonnie and Matt. Persephone hadn't had a dream with Kol in almost four months. After the second month, she'd been hoping any day she'd open her door or get a call that he was alive. But nothing so far.

"She was fine. Nothing wrong. Hey, do you think you could cloakus at the park tomorrow? I wnat her to get some fresh air."

"I have classes tomorrow. I don't even know if the spell I used would work at the park." Rebekah nodded.

"It's been a while. Maybe everything will be fine."

"You sure you want to risk it? Why don't I come home and watch her tomorrow and you can have some free time?"

"No, I'm alright." Persephone shrugged then kissed Hope's forehead before heading to her bedroom.

Rebekah ended up going to the park. She thought just one day wouldn't harm anything. But then she saw the sparrow. And then she saw the flock of them. Rebekah grabbed Hope and didn't go back to the house. She called her brother. "She's here. She found me."

"We've got bigger problems. Get somewhere safe."

"I'm running. She has the house rented until the end of the school year. Are you going to tell her?"

"No. I don't know."

Persephone got the call from Rebekah that she and Hope were leaving immediately. She knew it was always a possibility that they would leave one day. She had to let herself continue. Niklaus called her that night. "Kol is awake." he said in greeting.

"What? How? Where? Why wouldn't he call me?" she began asking. She didn't understand.

"He's here. Doing my dear mother's bidding. But I am sure one look at his soulmate would change his side."

"And just how long have you known, Nik?" she asked, thinking it was likely Kol had been awake for months and only recently became a problem for Nik.

"A while. I've been quite busy Persephone. Running an entire city." She rolled her eyes, knowing how he worked now.

"Well what if I'm too busy to help sway him to your side? I am in college. And not online classes."

"I will pay for your flight."

"I'll call you."

It took her a few weeks to get to New Orleans. She remembered that Qetsiyah wanted her to return when he came back. But she waited until break. She did the spell she created for the afterlife. It would take her right to him. It was late at night and she was at the graveyard. She fixed her hair before she walked in and saw two people kissing. They pulled away hearing the gate. One of them she saw was Davina and the other seemed to recognize her. Persephone deduced the truth pretty quickly.

Davina recognized Persephone and smiled at her. "Persephone. You're back," Davina said happily. But Persephone just kept looking at the guy. It was the eyes. And the fear she saw there.

"This is rich." she said and laughed coldly and shook her curls out. Davina's smile dropped and she looked confused. But Persephone turned and stormed off.

"Persephone, wait." the young man followed her.

"Ossox," she said, breaking his hand. He cried out but still followed her. Davina was quick after them.

"What is going on?!"

"Do you know? Who he is? Do you know?!" she shouted at Davina. Davina looked confused at first but then it clicked.

"Right. You're not just their Kol, you were her Kol." Persephone was happy he at least looked rightfully ashamed, "So are you manipulating me? Or are you cheating on her?"

"A little bit of both I guess," he admitted.

"I am so happy I grieved you. Fuck off and don't come near me!" Persephone said and then left the couple alone.