Fragment of the Gazette of Cádiz

A new danger in sight.

During the last few days, the authorities of the Cádiz regional government have been receiving news about a new plague. Several experts who have been on the front lines have reported on the subject, and we have received information from these same reports. Ludwig Weber, the new Prussian ambassador in Cádiz, has reported on a new possible problem that will come to the peninsula. The new bubonic plague has peculiar characteristics, which have caused concern about the possible effects it may have on societies. As far as the Gazette knows, the disease is highly contagious; those who contract it can either drop dead or become unscrupulous cannibals who attack the local population. Those infected are asked to maintain an extreme quarantine. Medical authorities have warned that the possible outbreak occurs due to contact, although there is confusion, as it may be a miasma. According to reports from Germany, entire towns have been devastated, some cities have begun to see the effects of the bubonic plague. Entire sections and neighborhoods have been evacuated and surviving soldiers from the campaign are forced to create border posts throughout the cities. There have been no known cases in France or Austria. Nor in the southern European states.

From the state we strongly ask the population to follow the regulations that have been stipulated since April 14, 1813. It is recommended that those infected quarantine in their rooms or homes. Avoid crowds of people. To avoid miasmas, those who can afford it avoid the cities. Under no circumstances be close to an infected person.

Possible commercial breaks in sight.

Recently, after the war between the United Kingdom and the United States of America, there have been several diplomatic frictions. James Madison and his cabinet have met to discuss possible consequences if the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland does not stop confiscating goods headed to France. He has also requested assistance in the annihilation of the Berber pirate states of North Africa. His Majesty George III's ambassadors have made it clear that the United Kingdom will not be afraid to use force again if they do not respect their past agreements. American goods are a vital means for the survival of English troops on the peninsula, which is why the Cádiz junta has been quick to mediate to ensure that His Majesty's troops have the necessary supplies to continue the fight against the French. The English attaché to Cádiz has made an official statement on the matter, calming fear by saying that relations are unlikely to relapse into another war, and that the troops' provisions are ample and will last a few more months without refreshments. Part of the goods arriving from the United States are used to feed people devastated by war. For now there are no serious concerns in this regard, and the central committee endorses the decision to maintain a conciliatory stance between the two powers.

The brave and faithful city of Cádiz.

03/28/1813

[Fragment found in one of the pockets of those who were rescued in the evacuation of Cádiz, he died shortly after being rescued]