-Chapter 23-

The dinner was a stressful, to put it mild

The dinner was a stressful, to put it mild. Everyone was so silent that Abhi had to watch his every move. He felt like he had eyes on him but no one was actually looking at him. They were all busy dealing with their own demons. Arjun hardly touched his food. He waited till everyone was done and walked away.

"I should not have come" Ashok put the spoon down, giving up all pretense of eating. Ash looked at his plate. Like Arjun he had not eaten anything. Okra was not just Arjun's favorite, it was their father's too.

"Give him a little time papa" Karan said, "It's not easy for him. I told you not to force him about this barsi, he has the right to hold on...."

"This is foolishness Karan" Ashok got up agitated, "Maan is gone. Instead of acknowledging his sacrifices, Arjun is holding on to false hope. Wishes don't get dead people back. If it did, my son would be home by now."

Karan looked away.

"He respects you a lot Karan, talk to him. Convince him. It's not healthy to live in dilutions...."

"It's called love, papa" Karan rose and shook his head, "not everyone can be as practical as you. Maan was Arjun's best friend, you will never understand their relationship. Those two never needed words with each other. They shared a soul. You want Arjun to move on, but he cannot. If you love your son, you will help him with his pain, not taunt him this way."

"Dad was not taunting, bhaiyu, Karan." Ash tried to pacify him, "He was worried for bhaiyu. We all are. How will he sit for the barsi tomorrow...."

"He will not sit for the pooja" Karan cut her off, "neither will I. We are leaving in the morning for Chennai with Abhi. Do what ever you want, I want no part of it"

Karan turned to leave from there, but Aisha held his hand and stopped him, "Please Karan, aath saal beet gaye hai. (It's been eight years.) You promised me last year that you will not wait any longer. You promised me you will convince bhaiyu. Why are you going back on your word?"

"Because I know that Maan is alive" Karan's voice was filled with anguish.

"You hope that he is alive" Ashok shook his head sadly, "You want him to be alive. We all want that Karan. I can trade my life for my son's. will that bring him back?"