Chapter 18: Hooked.

Friday, January 11th, 2023
10:56PM
Enid's POV

"Come on, I thought that you would be looking forward to it. Trespassing onto abandoned hospital property in the dead part of town is totally up your alley." I try and convince. I didn't think I would need to negotiate with Wednesday about doing something so unbelievably creepy at midnight with our friends. Then again, the phrase 'with our friends' might be where I lost her. "We're all supposed to meet in the quad at 11:11, so I don't understand how you haven't started getting ready when we only have like ten minutes."

"More like fifteen minutes. It's bold of you to assume I would waste a good old, abandoned building exploration with other people when I could do it by myself." She states. Her back faces me as she sits at her desk, typing and talking as I attempt to find the closest thing I have to a black jacket in my closet.

"By other people, do you mean your friends? Your friends that invited you go spend time with them doing something they knew you would like." I finally find an oversized black work jacket; an old one Harry gave me. It has a few paint splatters on it, and it's a bit worn but it will work. "Pretend all you want but I know you like them."

"I don't like them, I tolerate them." She insists. I sigh and walk over to the middle of the room.

"Let me ask you something. Do you like me, or do you just tolerate me?" I question. I already know her answer, we're dating for crying out loud, but I'm making a point. She stops typing and turns around in her chair. I play off a serious look, and when she falls for it, I watch as she gets up and meets me in the middle of the room.

"Enid, of course I like you." Wednesday responds with concerned eyes. "It's different with-"

"What about my brothers? Did you lie to me when you said you liked them?" I interrupt. She sighs at me, now understanding where I am going with this conversation. "And what about Yoko and Divina? You don't go to someone for advice if you just tolerate them. On multiple occasions may I add." I continue, now standing less than two feet away from her. She crosses her arms and looks away from me, unable to hold eye contact. I let it slide for a few seconds before gently grabbing her chin and redirecting her attention to me. "Look at me Wednesday. It's okay to admit you have friends who care about you, and new people who want to get to know you better."

Her dark brown eyes stay focused on mine, not bothering to look away. I can feel the tension in the room change and I can't help but think she wants something. She wants me...and I want her too. Kissing her now would relieve the energy that's been building up in my body since the last time we kissed, but if we start, we won't stop, and we'll be late. I lean down and give her a quick kiss on the check. I never knew I was such a tease.

"We can resume this later. Please, get ready so we aren't late." I ask, turning around and going back to my closet, now looking for the proper shoes. I can tell Wednesday is disappointed the kiss didn't go further, but that'll go away. For now, I'm focused on the fact I just heard her walk to her dresser and start looking for clothes.

-

11:22PM
Wednesday's POV

I want to know how I got here. Actually no, I know exactly how I got here. I got dressed, nothing fancy. Relaxed black jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt covered by a black and white stripped sweater, and my jean jacket on top. For shoes, I wear my usual doc martens and I brought gloves just in case. Not winter gloves, surgical gloves. We are going to a hospital after all. At 11:11, which I later learned was a 'lucky number,' we met in the quad. Surprisingly nobody was late, which was a pleasant surprise. However, somehow when we were all sneaking off Nevermore property, we ended up standing next to different people than who we left with. Why we haven't fixed our walking arrangement is beyond me, but my lord, how did I end up walking next to Taylor.